Tank Plumbing leak

Sean Norman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Innovative Marine 112 tank. The plumbing runs through the back of the overflow and down through a concrete top I made and into the sump. I noticed a small leak coming off the second overflow pipe, since this am it has gotten a lot worse.
Thinking of setting up an emergency tank with a series of totes.. one for the livestock and coral and one to act as a refugium to keep my bacteria going.
I will put a closed loop pump system into the bins and a heater.
I am thinking I can move most of my rock and corals into the bins with the fish.
I am going to have to drain the tank down to determine and try and repair the leak. Question is what do I do with the sand? Should I replace it.. and that would mean cycling the tank again?
Not a great feeling knowing the tank is leaking...

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Provided you can access the overflow and below the overflow where the bulkheads are (hopefully you can access behind the tank as its way easier than going through the stand), you might not need to completely drain the main display tank. Verify which of the bulkheads are leaking and turn off return pumps and drain water in the overflow. Inspect the bulkheads and ensure proper installation. Rubber washers should be on the wet side of the tank. If incorrectly installed, all attached plumbing must be removed and the bulkhead reset. Ensure that all surfaces are clean from debris.

It should look like below. BRS says to use teflon on the threads but the rubber washer is what actually performs the sealing. The teflon allows you to more easily tighten the nut.

Tighten the nut until there are no more leaks. NOT as tight as you can make it. Thats a one way trip to breaking a bulkhead, glass, or both.

1698119734972.png

OP
OP
S

Sean Norman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, the tank has been up and running for over two years, it is weird that it began leaking all of the sudden. I think I have to drain it and get back behind it, there looks to be moisture in the wall. I am afraid this will be a long term problem....

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, the tank has been up and running for over two years, it is weird that it began leaking all of the sudden. I think I have to drain it and get back behind it, there looks to be moisture in the wall. I am afraid this will be a long term problem....
That sucks... Well... your plan should work. I just don't know how long you'll need to identify and remedy the problem. Your livestock and rocks will be fine for a day or even longer but hopefully you can fix it in a day.

Most people say to toss the sand as it can hold a lot of detritus and cause a cycle when disturbed.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back