Tank recommendations.

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any recommendations to make my tank look cooler, meaning fish or coral. I was thinking Scolymia maybe but I don‘t know anything about them. My parameters are fine, I'm just looking to make my tank look fuller. I have a 32.5 gallon flex. I am also planning on getting a colony of Xenia.

Inhabitants:

Fish & Inverts-
2 clowns
3 pj cardinals
1 pencil urchin (secluded for the most part from my corals)
3 conchs
snails
1 goby
1 cleaner shrimp

Coral-
massive Kenya tree
Green star polyps

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7EBD76CA-6F0F-4186-B63E-ACD0C7E18DBB.jpeg

Here is the tank.

TopShelfAquatics

Follow us on Instagram @topshelfaquatics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would research first of all what kinds of corals that stock light can sustain. I would imagine softies would be fine. Some night bright zoas, mushrooms or leathers would probably do well and add some really nice colors to the tank. I would pick out frags in a variety of colors. Be careful with the xenia as it can be very invasive and over grow other corals.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would add one medium-small fish to the tank, but you will most likely need to upgrade the tank light for something like a scoly. I would not add xenia as they break off rocks and spread everywhere in a reef tank

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot of pencil urchins arent reef safe either and can decimate corals so be careful and ready to rehome it

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add Duncan, disco soma, toadstool leather, elegance, zoas, and a nice hammer potentially, provided you have a good source of light and other corals are thriving.

I like your scape. A nice euphyllia or leather at the top of the left rock would be awesome. Maybe an elegance on the right rock and zoas wherever you please.

Subliminal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd add one bigger fish like a flame angel or something.

Id get the xenia...i love the stuff, and you already have two of the most 'invasive' coral species out there, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'd get the GSP growing someplace prominent...I have a whole rock covered with it and its super bright. I can't even see yours..?

You can also isolate things on that rock on the other side pretty easy, I'd think.

Your tank is just...so...brown? hehe...sorry...

But yeah, there are a ton of things that can add color for not much $$$...a variety of zoas in different colors, some mushrooms. maybe a few rock flower anemone?

Can you change your lights to blue? i know the stock hood on my Evo had that ability...sure makes the tank look cooler.

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you seen the mangrove tank of the "Inappropriate Reefer" channel? You may take some inspiration from it.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would research first of all what kinds of corals that stock light can sustain. I would imagine softies would be fine. Some night bright zoas, mushrooms or leathers would probably do well and add some really nice colors to the tank. I would pick out frags in a variety of colors. Be careful with the xenia as it can be very invasive and over grow other corals.
I was thinking of getting a leather as well, i am hoping if i get a xenia it would take over the tank. I think it would be awesome to have a whole tank invaded by several types of coral, and kind of have them compete for space.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot of pencil urchins arent reef safe either and can decimate corals so be careful and ready to rehome it
Got that under control, its pretty humerous actually. I have a section for my coral on the left and then some other rocks on the right just for my pencil urchin. For the most part he stays over there and never bothers my coral. And the times that he has i have taken him off of it, and for the past 5-6 months he has been near it but never eating it. So i think i partly trained him not to eat it haha.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd add Duncan, disco soma, toadstool leather, elegance, zoas, and a nice hammer potentially, provided you have a good source of light and other corals are thriving.

I like your scape. A nice euphyllia or leather at the top of the left rock would be awesome. Maybe an elegance on the right rock and zoas wherever you please.
Thanks, appreciate it, i have been thinking about getting a huge toadstool leather. There one of my favorite looking corals.

OP
OP
Kapachuka3

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd add one bigger fish like a flame angel or something.

Id get the xenia...i love the stuff, and you already have two of the most 'invasive' coral species out there, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'd get the GSP growing someplace prominent...I have a whole rock covered with it and its super bright. I can't even see yours..?

You can also isolate things on that rock on the other side pretty easy, I'd think.

Your tank is just...so...brown? hehe...sorry...

But yeah, there are a ton of things that can add color for not much $$$...a variety of zoas in different colors, some mushrooms. maybe a few rock flower anemone?

Can you change your lights to blue? i know the stock hood on my Evo had that ability...sure makes the tank look cooler.
I was thinking of getting a leather, like a huge one. Then i think the xenia could maybe somewhat take over the tank. I think it would be a cool problem to have so much coral you have to take it out.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on leathers, there's some nice ones out there with good color. My tank is like 75% softies

Attachments

• 20230314_123414.jpg
    20230314_123414.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 53

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back