Tank REcyling

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just heard it could make cycling your tank take longer but I don’t know if there is any truth to it or not, that’s why I was wondering if that has any marit or not
Oh gotcha.

Nah the only reason why that would slow down a cycle is if it removed enough ammonia/nitrite from the water that you would not be experiencing enough growth of nitrifiers, but that is not really a concern because re-introducing ammonia (and nitrite) again would be easy.

The other way is if you accidentally change water that had some issues, like hypo- or hyper-salinity, or full of antibiotics or whatever, but of course that's not an issue with water changes during the cycle in and of itself.

So moving on, what a 100% water change does is to remove as much of what is actively antagonizing your live stock in the water as possible. Whether that 'clears' everything right away is not something absolutely ascertainable, but either way if there is something in the water that is irritating your live stock, at least most of that would be removed for now.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
El Capitan I made your post the #2 read in our false ammonia alert study thread.

Yours is among the top links because it is not false, we need folks to see what a real loss cascade looks like, we didn't have to wrangle in test params like most ammonia threads we just initiated the cpr fast as possible, nice job. I bet you can save some corals and remaining fish.

stray voltage, poisoning events are always possible but you were able to get this far without them, and things seemed to focus only when you're gone but not present to react to the initial clouding or loss of a fish/or two

in my opinion this traces back to possible disease or old age fish loss and simply the timing of events for you not to be there to remove it. It always takes something marked and pronounced to cause a reef tank to do this. it almost never occurs in fallow tanks like nano reefs that have no fish but just heavy corals and inverts, there isn't much in those to dieoff/catch disease and leak ammonia all over the place. I always make the case against folks using extra surface area like bioballs or matrix filter media because its more cleaning duty

its also more of a shock absorber for these type events, at the expense of oxygen in the system but still the extra surface area is directly a hedge against ammonia cascades that is for sure something to consider when designing reefs with extra surface area filtration backups. one or more of those in line might easily offset the last fish that caused the cascade/crash...

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Oh gotcha.

Nah the only reason why that would slow down a cycle is if it removed enough ammonia/nitrite from the water that you would not be experiencing enough growth of nitrifiers, but that is not really a concern because re-introducing ammonia (and nitrite) again would be easy.

The other way is if you accidentally change water that had some issues, like hypo- or hyper-salinity, or full of antibiotics or whatever, but of course that's not an issue with water changes during the cycle in and of itself.

So moving on, what a 100% water change does is to remove as much of what is actively antagonizing your live stock in the water as possible. Whether that 'clears' everything right away is not something absolutely ascertainable, but either way if there is something in the water that is irritating your live stock, at least most of that would be removed for now.
Should I continue do dose Red Sea no pox? I’m pretty sure I has been making my tank more cloudy after dosing it

OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How is it going now? How are the corals and everything doing? Do you currently have any issues with nitrates and phosphates?
Some corals are starting to open a little but not much, water is still a little cloudy but has cleared up a lot, my phosphates as of today are 0.08 and my nitrates are undetectable via api test kit, the big water change seemed to have helped so far though.

OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
El Capitan I made your post the #2 read in our false ammonia alert study thread.

Yours is among the top links because it is not false, we need folks to see what a real loss cascade looks like, we didn't have to wrangle in test params like most ammonia threads we just initiated the cpr fast as possible, nice job. I bet you can save some corals and remaining fish.

stray voltage, poisoning events are always possible but you were able to get this far without them, and things seemed to focus only when you're gone but not present to react to the initial clouding or loss of a fish/or two

in my opinion this traces back to possible disease or old age fish loss and simply the timing of events for you not to be there to remove it. It always takes something marked and pronounced to cause a reef tank to do this. it almost never occurs in fallow tanks like nano reefs that have no fish but just heavy corals and inverts, there isn't much in those to dieoff/catch disease and leak ammonia all over the place. I always make the case against folks using extra surface area like bioballs or matrix filter media because its more cleaning duty

its also more of a shock absorber for these type events, at the expense of oxygen in the system but still the extra surface area is directly a hedge against ammonia cascades that is for sure something to consider when designing reefs with extra surface area filtration backups. one or more of those in line might easily offset the last fish that caused the cascade/crash...
Thank you I appreciate all of that!!

yeah everything seemed ok before I left for a few days, I tested all parameters, made sure my ATO was full.

I do help this might help someone at some point

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some corals are starting to open a little but not much, water is still a little cloudy but has cleared up a lot, my phosphates as of today are 0.08 and my nitrates are undetectable via api test kit, the big water change seemed to have helped so far though.
Yeah I would not worry about dosing nopox at the moment. I mean your phosphate is a bit high, but with zero nitrate nopox may not be working all that well either. I mean it is possible your nitrate is only at zero because of the nopox, but that is also not necessarily a good thing. Your corals do utilize nitrate, and if nitrate is actually depleted then that could also make your corals sad.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 39.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 23.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.2%

Back