Tank reset

35gcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much I've scrapped everything I had and started again (I moved). I yet again have a couple of questions and would be very thankful if answAttach filesered. I think I need to clarify a bit before: I used not cycled rock, live sand, a canister filter and single hydra 16 prime as lighting. I don't know why the tank is so cloudy. I have carbon in my filtration unit. Tiny air bubbles are growing all over my tank and in my sand, but I added food to decay only two days ago, NO2- test is coming out as 0 so I don't think the cycle has started yet (I didn't test NH3 yet). Could someone explain why those things are happening in my tank? I am still a begginer. Thanks

PS: can I add fish when NH3 is low and to avoid a spike use something to get the ammonia out? It is really hard to get marine life in my country and I have put my eyes on a cirrhitichthys oxycephalus as a centerpiece. Those ocasions are very rare so I have constant fear that someone else will buy it before the cycle is complete lol

20240130_172947.jpg

Last edited:

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is super cloudy from the sand, it will take a while for your filter to clean it up and the rest to settle down. You can speed this process up by pre rinsing, search sand rinsing threads here there are quite a few. And if you are just using food to cycle, it is going to take weeks, not days. I would suggest some bottled bacteria, dr tims or microbacter7. That will get you nitrifying a lot quicker.

OP
OP
35gcube

35gcube

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is super cloudy from the sand, it will take a while for your filter to clean it up and the rest to settle down. You can speed this process up by pre rinsing, search sand rinsing threads here there are quite a few. And if you are just using food to cycle, it is going to take weeks, not days. I would suggest some bottled bacteria, dr tims or microbacter7. That will get you nitrifying a lot quicker.
I've used some seachem stability, Bio S and the sand was live

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back