Tank seam separating after moving. Question about moving fish.

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a Red Sea tank that has been set up now for about 5 weeks with 2 clownfish in it. I want to move the rest of my fish over as the problem is getting worse but the cycle in the new tank isn't quite complete. There is a small amount of ammonia tested 2 days ago, but it is being converted to nitrite and nitrate at this point.

I'd like to move my fish asap as this thing is starting to leak further down the seam.. It's gone to more than a quart a day from a reall slow drip.. I really don't have a choice. Anything I can do to make this easier for fish?

ColoredRock

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Red Sea tank that has been set up now for about 5 weeks with 2 clownfish in it. I want to move the rest of my fish over as the problem is getting worse but the cycle in the new tank isn't quite complete. There is a small amount of ammonia tested 2 days ago, but it is being converted to nitrite and nitrate at this point.

I'd like to move my fish asap as this thing is starting to leak further down the seam.. It's gone to more than a quart a day from a reall slow drip.. I really don't have a choice. Anything I can do to make this easier for fish?
agh.. sorry to hear that. Heater.. flow...again feel your pain.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a small amount of ammonia tested 2 days ago, but it is being converted to nitrite and nitrate at this point.
If ammonia is 0.5ppm or less, then I would move the clowns over.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many other fish do you have? If you've done an in tank cycle with the clowns already for 5 weeks the damage is done to the clowns for the most part. What size 8s the tank? You can possibly move the fish over to the new tank and anything from the other tank that has beneficial bacteria on it with them. If its a lot of fish and a small tank you'll need to do waterchanges probably daily or every other day to keep ammonia down.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This cycle is done, your test kits are entry level and in need of tan conversion to be interpreted correctly

there are no half cycles in reefing, thats just non digital kit read issues. There’s either not cycled, can’t carry life and get fed daily, or like your tank there’s cycled and can carry life and feed daily and the nh3 form doesn’t read zero because we don’t expect it to read zero in anyone’s tank, it should always read a low level like you are seeing

of the five weeks waited, your actual done date was probably day 4 ish considering there was fish and bottle bac in it and most bottle bac adheres to surfaces in four days. 4.5 weeks of wait wasn’t necessary, using updated cycling science can save you mountains of hesitation and allow for deliberate actions, this saves more animals than the delayed/ open ended cycling mode

the whole thing hinges upon you having a big stack of rocks/surface area right in the middle of the new tank, surface area is key for safety, not bacteria

whatever surface area you had in contact here for five weeks is full of bacteria.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took it as moving the clowns from a leaking tank to a tank that may not be quite 'fully' cycled.
I think you're right. I'm still on the first cup o coffee..

@Kurant If you have live rock in the tank that is leaking, move some over into your temporary holding area with the clowns. Live rock will give you a great jump into your cycle. Living in a life Rockwood instantly cycle your tank. Even if you need to move the clowns over, and monitor ammonia everyday being prepared for small water changes. The leaking tank needs to be drained.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This cycle is done, your test kits are entry level and in need of tan conversion to be interpreted correctly
What kit is he/she using?
the nh3 form doesn’t read zero because we don’t expect it to read zero in anyone’s tank, it should always read a low level like you are seeing
My tanks read zero
of the five weeks waited, your actual done date was probably day 4 ish considering there was fish and bottle bac in it
The is no fish in the new tank. And when was anything said about bottled bacteria?

OP
OP
R

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you're right. I'm still on the first cup o coffee..

@Kurant If you have live rock in the tank that is leaking, move some over into your temporary holding area with the clowns. Live rock will give you a great jump into your cycle. Living in a life Rockwood instantly cycle your tank. Even if you need to move the clowns over, and monitor ammonia everyday being prepared for small water changes. The leaking tank needs to be drained.

A Nuvo is the leaking tank, it's moving into a Red Sea 525.

Came home from a short work trip Thursday and it had leaked enough to almost overflow a 2 quart container, which was a lot more than the previous drip.

I would have moved live rock everything over from the Nuvo but I was battling off Ulva and didn't want it in the new tank at all. It's been a nightmare. I didn't anticipate it would start leaking this much, this quicky. But, here we are. I think I will move the fish today and drain it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What kit is he/she using?

My tanks read zero

The is no fish in the new tank. And when was anything said about bottled bacteria?
There is 2 clowns in the new tank. I did use Dr. Tims. I think Brandon likely saw my reply to a thread a few weeks ago about transferring tanks.

OP
OP
R

Reefin' Alaska

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

there are no half cycles in reefing, thats just non digital kit read issues. There’s either not cycled, can’t carry life and get fed daily, or like your tank there’s cycled and can carry life and feed daily and the nh3 form doesn’t read zero because we don’t expect it to read zero in anyone’s tank, it should always read a low level like you are seeing

of the five weeks waited, your actual done date was probably day 4 ish considering there was fish and bottle bac in it and most bottle bac adheres to surfaces in four days. 4.5 weeks of wait wasn’t necessary, using updated cycling science can save you mountains of hesitation and allow for deliberate actions, this saves more animals than the delayed/ open ended cycling mode

the whole thing hinges upon you having a big stack of rocks/surface area right in the middle of the new tank, surface area is key for safety, not bacteria

whatever surface area you had in contact here for five weeks is full of bacteria.
I have about 70lbs of rock currently. In addition to about 10-12 of the 2" Marine Pure cubes in the sump. All have been in since day 1. I do have a bag of Marine pure and Matrix in the other tank I can move over as well.

I guess I'll acclimate fish and move them today. I really don't want 50g of water on my floor. Lol.

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back