Moving tanks.

Vera94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any advice I will take. So currently moving about 30 miles away, upgraded our tank from a 62 gal to a 120.. but how would you suggest moving all the fish an coral as safely as possible? When we have to set the new tank up at the new house but want to use the majority of the water from the old tank. I'm so stressed out thinking about how to get this done correctly! Any help please!

OP
OP
Vera94

Vera94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you go about that? Like would i need air stones an heaters? And I'm just afraid things will fall onto each other. So many worries!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How would you go about that? Like would i need air stones an heaters? And I'm just afraid things will fall onto each other. So many worries!
For a trip of that length I'd probably just aim to make the trip quickly. You could add a couple battery powered airstones.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Airstones may work for the drive but I would use a power head if you need to keep them in the brute can for any length of time. I’ve had to keep fish in one for several days. It’s pretty easy.
IMG_0551.png

Also if you have the 5 gallon buckets with the lids you can use them for individual fish.

shrimplover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
30 miles is not long if the new tank is ready and set up. Should be fine without airstones, think about when we turn off the flow in our systems to feed.... One piece of rock per bucket so nothing collides. Just get plenty of BIG buckets, no lids. Just enough water to cover. Preheated car if it's cold. Drive slowly. And plastic bags for fish. That's how would go about it...

Why not match the new tank water with your old so you don't have to move all your water?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back