tank setup question

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tying a 10 gallon tank to my 55 with sump setup and was wondering which approach would be better:

1) a 1-1.5 inch sandbed with a rock island for it to live in.

2) a 4 inch sandbed with rock rubble mixed in to make a "burrow."

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tying a 10 gallon tank to my 55 with sump setup and was wondering which approach would be better:

1) a 1-1.5 inch sandbed with a rock island for it to live in.

2) a 4 inch sandbed with rock rubble mixed in to make a "burrow."
Option 2, they love to burrow

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
option 2, but you must still have the rock island so that it has something to burrow under. How large is the mantis?
I don't actually have one yet as I'm still in the research stage, so the only answer I can give is whatever the common selling size of them is

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the species of mantis shrimp. There are some that require mostly sand, mostly rock, or a mix of sand and rocks. My first question would be is are you looking for a smasher or a spear species?

OP
OP
keddre

keddre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the species of mantis shrimp. There are some that require mostly sand, mostly rock, or a mix of sand and rocks. My first question would be is are you looking for a smasher or a spear species?
honestly not sure. My lfs gets them in as "mantis shrimp," so I won't know until I actually get it

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
honestly not sure. My lfs gets them in as "mantis shrimp," so I won't know until I actually get it

If you are not sure on the species then I would start bare bottom and put some rock structure in the tank with some rubble. Sand can always be added latter if its needed. Less sand will be easier to manage so I would not go with a deep sand bed unless it is required for what ever species you get. Good link for identification and basic care. http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/arthropoda/crustacea/malacostraca/eumalacostraca/royslist/

Shabalaba

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently house 5 species of mantis shrimp, all of the smasher variety. What I do is lay few pieces of rubble on the glass spaced evenly apart, then put a minimum of 2 inches of sand (more if a larger specimen) in with atleast 1 piece of live rock in the middle. The mantis will excavate a burrow under the live rock, using the rubble on the bottom as structure. He will appreciate any rock rubble, shells, or coral pieces to "decorate" his home. You can alternatively use a section of PVC with a diameter twice the width of the mantis.

This is general advice, and id be happy to reiterate when you know for sure what species it is.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 36.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back