Tank Size For Mandarin Pair

Sully32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a 120 gallon display with a ton of live rock and about 2" of sand. I am running a 40 breeder sump with the refugium section being about 20 gallons. I am hoping to get a male and female mandarin, but will only get one if I have to. What is everyone's opinion on tank size for a pair?

Last edited:

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s about the minimum size for a pair IMO and considering you have a large fuge they should do good in your tank

OP
OP
Sully32

Sully32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Also, does anybody know if a specific color variant does better as a pair? Or if different color variants can be placed together?

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 50gallon tank and have a pair of mandarins for 2 years now.

They are very happy and also eat lobster eggs and brine.

Also I dont even have sand as its a barebottom tank

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a 120 is fine. Every mandarin or should I say dragonette/scooter I've had eventually ate frozen.That was before they were readily breeding in captivity. The problem is they have a relatively short digestive tract and high metabolizim. If there is a lot of other fish eating also they will gobble up the food before the mandarins get to it. They are slow at eating. They hunt all day so they aren't designed to eat large meals all at once. Thats why a good population of pods is a good thing to have.

OP
OP
Sully32

Sully32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have kept a single Mandarin for 6 years in a 55 with a 15 gallon sump and another single specimen in a 90 with a 20 gallon sump for 3 years. I just wasn't sure if two would really be pushing it.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept a single Mandarin for 6 years in a 55 with a 15 gallon sump and another single specimen in a 90 with a 20 gallon sump for 3 years. I just wasn't sure if two would really be pushing it.
Well you know then. 2 in a tank twice as big shouldnt be an issue for you. As for which ones have better pairing i'd say look at the ones being captive bred on a regular basis. The standard "psycadelic" mandarin ( forgive me I cant for the life of me think of their more common name) are commonly available from ORA and Biota.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back