Tank size help

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I need a bit of help choosing the correct tank size for my ocellaris clownfish.

I’ve got the options to pick between a 96Litre (25G US) and a 120L (31G US) tank. I’d normally always go the bigger sized tank, but I’ve found an amazing deal on some new preowned equipment which essentially halves my cost of initial setup.

Would two ocellaris clownfish, and one BTA, be okay in the smaller size tank? Or should I go for the bigger one, and forgo the cost saved? The money isn’t an issue in getting a bigger tank, but I don’t mind saving money where I can!
Hope this makes enough sense, thank you anyone who can help me out!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is your first tank I would opt for the cost savings. It will be a learning curve for you to understand the equipment and salt water tank care.
Once you have it down you will want more f sh and coral. Then the bigger tank 100Gallon will be calling you.

Be sure to have the previous owner explain the equipment and how it works

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is your first tank I would opt for the cost savings. It will be a learning curve for you to understand the equipment and salt water tank care.
Once you have it down you will want more f sh and coral. Then the bigger tank 100Gallon will be calling you.

Be sure to have the previous owner explain the equipment and how it works
Alright, I’ll keep that in mind.
But would that sort of tank be suitable for 2 clowns and an anemone? Don’t want to get something that’d be too small for them :(

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the Clowns. Some get too big for either tank, while there are some that would be fine in either. I'd go with the cheaper option personally if everything is clean. If the items are not very clean, I'd pass. Clean is synonymous with well cared for. If it is not well cared for, it will break. Always be careful when buying used reefing equipment.

OP
OP
yanni

yanni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the Clowns. Some get too big for either tank, while there are some that would be fine in either. I'd go with the cheaper option personally if everything is clean. If the items are not very clean, I'd pass. Clean is synonymous with well cared for. If it is not well cared for, it will break. Always be careful when buying used reefing equipment.
Thinking of either a True Percula or Ocellaris pair. Would it be suitable size wise for them both + a nem? Don’t want to cramp the poor fellas. The equipment looks fairly clean from what I’ve seen on images, need to give it a once over in person tho.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for the smaller clowns it will be fine.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ya almost forgot
howdy and welcome

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it goes without saying, but dimensions *can be more important than volume. For example, if the 31 gallons is 3 feet long, that really opens things up. A 40 breeder is 3' long, as is a true 30 gallon... but a 29 is 30" long and only 12" wide and extra tall.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.7%
Back