Tank sizes for tangs: Help us create a list!

1.0reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO a fully grown tang of the Naso genus needs 8ft min- although 10ft is better.
I can still remember huge unicorn tangs in Hawaii, they wouldn't be able to turn around in a 36 inch wide tank.:twitch:

raven67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking through fish on various sites, Aquacon lists the tank bred blue hippo tang as a minimum of 20g?? Are these bred to not grow big, or are they misinforming shoppers?

devolette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's your opinions on getting a three inch hippo tang (lfs has one right now) in a 55 for around six months? it'd be the only fish in there and it has LOTS of algae and the rockwork is set up so there's as much swimming room as possible. any thoughts?

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
what's your opinions on getting a three inch hippo tang (lfs has one right now) in a 55 for around six months? it'd be the only fish in there and it has LOTS of algae and the rockwork is set up so there's as much swimming room as possible. any thoughts?

Its not the size of the fish its swimming room required. A 3 inch is 3" smaller than a 6" hippo tang so would require a tank that is 3" smaller, So instead of a 180 you are looking at maybe 150 gallon to 160 gallon. Tangs require lots of swimming room small or large it really has nothing to do with their size. Some large fish can be in smaller tanks while some small fish require a big tank. That is way to small.. Honestly a 120 gallon would probably be ok short term but no way a 55. No tang period should be in that small of a tank.. Believe me I have a kole in a 75 and he is a terror. I don't think I would do it again, the only thing that challenges him is my two clarkiis and they are mean and very large and he takes both them on. Matter of fact he intentionally irritates them by swimming really close to thier anemone jsut two upset them and then goes into a agressive posture. I actually think this behavior is killing my anemone. Because my clowns go ballistic in the anemone stressing it.
Tangs move way to fast and just scare other fish in a small tank even if they are not being aggressive. What people fail to relaise is even if the tang its self is ok in a smaller tank all your other fish are not.. They will tend to hide. Tangs while in a large tank seem passive in a small tank become agressive because they hate other fish being close. In a larger tank fish have the ability to get clear.

Another thing is tangs seem to get ich in smaller tanks do to stress and have a harder time over coming it.

Last edited:

devolette

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's pretty much what i was expecting to hear. the only reason i was considering it was because he would be the only fish in there and we need to get rid of caulerpa. and my boyfriend REALLY wants one haha. but he can deal without it, i don't want to lose the fish, i get really sad. sorry to hear about your nem, it's a bummer when fish hurt inverts or corals.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
that's pretty much what i was expecting to hear. the only reason i was considering it was because he would be the only fish in there and we need to get rid of caulerpa. and my boyfriend REALLY wants one haha. but he can deal without it, i don't want to lose the fish, i get really sad. sorry to hear about your nem, it's a bummer when fish hurt inverts or corals.

You know what is funny.. I have has several tangs and non ever ate caulerpa. Caulerpa can be really hard to remove too.

Yea the clowns are just to aggressive on the anemone and the tang don't make the situation better. Sometime this is a problem with clowns especially tank raised ones, they love thier anemone to death, I have seen it before. I have had the two clarkiis since they were juveniles but they are going to have to go, really hard to get rid of them. It is also really hard to catch them.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My only disagreement is the "80g - min: 4ft" which could just as well be 75G 4 ft. 5 gallons isn't going to make a difference. It's like adding less than an inch to the height of the tank...

This is a very debatable topic and there are lots of opinions out there. It is more than just the tank size though as there are compatibilities with other tangs, amount of live rock or coral affecting swim room, and bio-load can all affect the decision to buy a tang or two. Unfortunately some (the few) people tend to gravitate to hard numbers like a tank size chart and just go buy all that fit their chart and wonder why they have bad luck. You should split up the list into their groupings genetics and label compatibility as well just so others know which ones to keep away from others.

+1

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How about some of us who have a Cube tank? mine is 30x30x24 and I have one Kole Tang that loves it in there. I have the rockwork setup in the middle so he takes advantage of it by going through all the holes into the middle rock work or just swimming superspeed through it like a lap...
Honestly I see zero issue with keeping one tang in a tank with this dimension so the 4' min imo is not always applicable.

+1

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have an 80 gallon and it has a 4x2 footprint. I find this has much more swimming room overall than a 75 gallon, more room for turn arounds etc.

4x2 is typically a 120, right? How tall is the 80g. Also, a 75 gallon has 18 inches of width, so I think most 6 inch fish have no trouble making the turn.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was looking through fish on various sites, Aquacon lists the tank bred blue hippo tang as a minimum of 20g?? Are these bred to not grow big, or are they misinforming shoppers?

It's in the name...AquaCON... :D

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think People don't realize how big tangs get, they see these cute little tangs in the store. A couple weeks ago I saw a sailfin tang and it was over a foot long but you usually only see 4 inches in the store. . Tangs like blue hippo tangs can get over a foot too and then what do you do? No one wants one that big unless they have a really big tank. Most fish stores wont want them at that size.

Mrfresh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gem tank 90 gallon.
I had mine in a 90 for a while before I sold him perfectly happy.

As a side note I think it should be said this is for full grown fish.

I have a velimigi in my 90 right now.
He's only 5 inches long
DONT WORRY I HAVE A 300 he will go into once my house is finished.
I think it should be an 8ft tank for the velimigi tho.

Last edited:

freakfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building a 72"x24"22". I want a naso and a purple tang. This will be the only tangs I have.

Aquaph8

Love The Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't put a Naso in anything smaller than a 300 cause they are one that get really big but with good care I think you can provide a good home for a long time. The purple will be fine but they can be kinda nasty tempered, I recommend adding it last.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets just drop the "tang police" comments please. It's been hashed and rehashed so many times and there has never been a resolution. This debate may go on forever but this isn't the place to settle it.

This thread is about tank sizes for tangs so if you have an opinion on what tang for what size then it can be submitted here but bashing others opinions won't be allowed.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.6%
Back