Tank tang confusion #reefsquad

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all. #reefsquad I have a pretty new system with juvenile fish. I have a 150g DT with 2 Vlamingii (will remove soon) 1 Pacific sailfin tang, a regal tang and 2 lawnmover blennies (which are so graceful to watch) my lfs has a new stock, he has a couple of tangs that interests me such as Blonde naso, scopas and powder blues (which has a notorious reputation) however they’re all at least 2 inches larger in size than the ones I have. all these fishes come from the Indian Ocean hence a temperature of 27c is set throughout. I was wondering if I should buy larger fish and keep with juveniles which are well established? :))
What are your opinions on adding the new tangs mentioned and their size difference with the ones already in my aquarium?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello all. #reefsquad I have a pretty new system with juvenile fish. I have a 150g DT with 2 Vlamingii (will remove soon) 1 Pacific sailfin tang, a regal tang and 2 lawnmover blennies (which are so graceful to watch) my lfs has a new stock, he has a couple of tangs that interests me such as Blonde naso, scopas and powder blues (which has a notorious reputation) however they’re all at least 2 inches larger in size than the ones I have. all these fishes come from the Indian Ocean hence a temperature of 27c is set throughout. I was wondering if I should buy larger fish and keep with juveniles which are well established? :))
What are your opinions on adding the new tangs mentioned and their size difference with the ones already in my aquarium?
Having 20 tangs, there is no need to get larger
Tangs tend to be jerks when other tangs are introduced but often simmer down within 72 hours
If the list you provided, the powder blue will be the one to be uninviting.
If there is an issue at introduction you can either place a mirror against tank diverting attention of existing fish or place new ones in a large acclimation box or bully in acclimation box

PlumberDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of tangs as well and the powder blue is THE biggest jerk. I would say about 1/3 of a sohal type of aggressive…lol The pecking order is established pretty fast.

am3gross

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Agree about the blue. Mine would eventually kill my achillies (been together since they were babies) and then started to eat the corals in the frag tank, so mine is a permanent resident in the sump. Now before the tang police comes after me, my sump is 300 gallons, so he is still super happy

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above but note that I had to re-home from a 180 a fast growing vlamingi who went from baby to filet size in 12-14 months and then so could follow suite –, He also was one of the biggest personality Fischer.
think about your Rehoming plans for Naso or think about keeping smaller species, at least that’s my opinion. Best of luck

OP
OP
airvicconcre

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having 20 tangs, there is no need to get larger
Tangs tend to be jerks when other tangs are introduced but often simmer down within 72 hours
If the list you provided, the powder blue will be the one to be uninviting.
If there is an issue at introduction you can either place a mirror against tank diverting attention of existing fish or place new ones in a large acclimation box or bully in acclimation box
the walls and the back of my tank is fitted with black vinyl which help get a mirror effect. im getting a couple of acclimation boxes ready. the tangs at my LFS are double the size of the ones i have in my tank thats my only worry. thanks for replying. :))

OP
OP
airvicconcre

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree about the blue. Mine would eventually kill my achillies (been together since they were babies) and then started to eat the corals in the frag tank, so mine is a permanent resident in the sump. Now before the tang police comes after me, my sump is 300 gallons, so he is still super happy
wow 300 g sump! i guess i will have a to introduce the powder blue as the smallest size and the last tang i add. any other suggestions? my LFS has blonde naso and scopas as well and theyre twice the size of the ones i have in my aquarium. will the larger fish bully the smaller vlamingi, regal and pacific sailfin?

OP
OP
airvicconcre

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with the above but note that I had to re-home from a 180 a fast growing vlamingi who went from baby to filet size in 12-14 months and then so could follow suite –, He also was one of the biggest personality Fischer.
think about your Rehoming plans for Naso or think about keeping smaller species, at least that’s my opinion. Best of luck
thats my plan. Vlamingi was my first fish and i will return it to my lfs before i add more fish. thanks

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do a PBT if I’m honest, these guys are extremely active and a 6’ tank is small for them. I remember having a 6” fat, healthy PBT however we could only have 3-4 other fish in the tank otherwise it got crowded. Easily sold him eventually (Replaced him with an Achilles which surprisingly did better in the 6’ tank) as that’s the one fish a lot of people want a healthy specimen of.
If you absolutely have to go for a large tang then I wouldn’t do a PBT and instead wait for the true show stopper. For me this is an Acanthurus achilles but for you it may be different.

OP
OP
airvicconcre

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t do a PBT if I’m honest, these guys are extremely active and a 6’ tank is small for them. I remember having a 6” fat, healthy PBT however we could only have 3-4 other fish in the tank otherwise it got crowded. Easily sold him eventually (Replaced him with an Achilles which surprisingly did better in the 6’ tank) as that’s the one fish a lot of people want a healthy specimen of.
If you absolutely have to go for a large tang then I wouldn’t do a PBT and instead wait for the true show stopper. For me this is an Acanthurus achilles but for you it may be different.
im not very hell bent on getting the pbt and variants like the achilles, kole etc are hardd to come by where i live. the scopas at my lfs is very active and it eats like a pig (i checked it pout myself) my lfs also has a blonde naso (which is in my list) however both the Scopas and the BN are 2" larger than the ones in my aquarium. was wondering if i should add them or not.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not very hell bent on getting the pbt and variants like the achilles, kole etc are hardd to come by where i live. the scopas at my lfs is very active and it eats like a pig (i checked it pout myself) my lfs also has a blonde naso (which is in my list) however both the Scopas and the BN are 2" larger than the ones in my aquarium. was wondering if i should add them or not.
You can get away with it but scopas’ aren’t too nice when it comes to aggression. Mine ended up being a terror unfortunately.

The blonde Naso and already existing Vlamingii’s are a potential call for a fight. Again you can do this but be cautious.

OP
OP
airvicconcre

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get away with it but scopas’ aren’t too nice when it comes to aggression. Mine ended up being a terror unfortunately.

The blonde Naso and already existing Vlamingii’s are a potential call for a fight. Again you can do this but be cautious.
i plan to return the vlamingis and add the scopas. the only problem is they are like 4.5" and my sailfin and regal are 2"
i can wait to add fish im in no rush. im eveve makinng a couple of acclimation boxes for fishes who bully. please advise

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This one has been in my 135g well over a year

1666013138374.png

OP
OP
airvicconcre

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This one has been in my 135g well over a year

1666013138374.png
wow! your tangs look fantastic. i hope to get there someday. i have ordered acclimation boxes if incase there is nuisances caused by the Scopas tang. i believe i just wouldnt know without trying. im attaching a small video. please advise if anything wrong or needs correction. thanks

Attachments

• my aqua.mp4
    2.3 MB

Bleigh

The best bad influence
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a lot of luck with an acclimation box from octoaquatics for new tang introduction. I did not think my yellow tang (established) and new sailfin would ever get along. They were leaving gashes on one another and the mirror trick didn't seem to be working. I just kept swapping them back and forth out of the acclimation box for about 3 weeks, and eventually they stopped fighting.

OP
OP
airvicconcre

airvicconcre

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a lot of luck with an acclimation box from octoaquatics for new tang introduction. I did not think my yellow tang (established) and new sailfin would ever get along. They were leaving gashes on one another and the mirror trick didn't seem to be working. I just kept swapping them back and forth out of the acclimation box for about 3 weeks, and eventually they stopped fighting.
Hello Bleigh. That’s what the plan is. I ordered acclimation box today and I should get it by tomorrow. I’ve already added a Scopas tank to my aquarium. Tonight is gonna be a bit sleepless until I reach office tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed, hope it’s all good in my dt come tomorrow. :)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.6%
Back