Tank Sizes

Mirelyght

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i'm shopping for a tank. my ideal footprint is a 36"L but i can probably go 40"L if i order custom. i'm trying to get as much tank in my footprint size as possible without making it too tall. if i do order a custom tank (because that seems the only way for me to get starphire glass in wisconsin) i was thinking of these dimensions: 40"Lx20"Wx24"H but if the wife doesn't like the length or freaks out about size i was gonna move it back to 36"L....is that enough surface area for a mixed coral tank? or should i shorten it?

i was going to order if i can a custom steel frame for the tank that i would then build the cabinet around....and the canopy. however i'll take whatever advice i can get if my dimensions are too weird.

that novice guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
36 inch 65 gallon plenty if space for growing up i believe the lengths are 36L 24H 18W

Sent Via the R2R Forum APP

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the 65g is a taller 40B (Breeder). Great footprint for a tank but you'll probably have to special order it I don't think many places stock it.

OP
OP
M

Mirelyght

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i see them online....and i have a LFS near me that boasts (at least on its site) that it has a huge selection of tank sizes plus custom ordering. while the 36x18x24 is a standard size i figured since i might have to custom order a tank with starphire glass that i might as well add to the tank size in a way other than length since my length space is limited....which means increasing the width.

do you think that's practical? or should i just stick with standard? the 18" width seems a bit small to me so i figured any extra gallonage (is that even a word lol) i can work in will make for a more stable system.

Zoacoral

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your going to have a custom made tank, if it was me, I wouldnt settle for anything less then 24" front to back. If your wife lets you get away with 40", I personally would go 40 x 24 x 18-20" high

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back