0   0   0
6 footer….for this 7” blue
IMG_2019.jpeg

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what I think is a lot of confusion on tank size for tangs. I did a ton on research, read everything I could search up about this subject. What I found out, and from experience after keeping tangs and observing them, I believe this to be true is that swimming length in a tank can be more important that volume, especially for tangs. I have an 8ft tank, got several tangs and I can tell you they are extremely active. They spend all day swimming back and forth from one end to the other. You will occasionally see a guy claim they "keep tangs in a 75g with no prob, their fish aren't that active" and the reason their fish are not active is they do not have enough space to swim. My tang gang swims several miles every day.

Tomini and Kole tangs are among the smallest. They recommend 70g for them, I suggest 6 foot length instead. The fish will be way happier in a 6ft tank than in a 4 foot tank.

For the mid size tangs, those getting up to 12 inches long I suggest at least a 7 foot tank.

For the giants, Naso, Vlamingi etc 8ft or longer. These fish can get 18 to 24 inches long.

Also as a general rule of thumb, front to back glass should be longer then your longest fish.

Pictured is my Blonde Naso, he is about 11 inches long with streamers.
Anyway these are my thoughts on Tank Size for Tangs.
Happy Reefing

20231103_143157.jpg 20231103_143155.jpg

Last edited:

mrpontiac80

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that a longer tank is better. Mine also are constantly swimming. Blue hippo tangs are funny because they hide differently in my opinion. Mine sleeps/hides in a large acro colony. It also has broken a few branches. They are super fast and are made to thrive in areas of the ocean with lots of flow. Because of that I also think I high flow tank is beneficial. Think of it as a treadmill for high energy fish.
Also be aware that blue hippos are often referred to as the boss of the tank for many people.
IMG_2196.jpeg

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tangs are all still juveniles, Im actively looking and saving money for an upgrade for them so when they are fully grown Ill have a bigger tank for them

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what I think is a lot of confusion on tank size for tangs. I did a ton on research, read everything I could search up about this subject. What I found out, and from experience after keeping tangs and observing them, I believe this to be true is that swimming length in a tank can be more important that volume, especially for tangs. I have an 8ft tank, got several tangs and I can tell you they are extremely active. They spend all day swimming back and forth from one end to the other. You will occasionally see a guy claim they "keep tangs in a 75g with no prob, their fish aren't that active" and the reason their fish are not active is they do not have enough space to swim. My tang gang swims several miles every day.

Tomini and Kole tangs are among the smallest. They recommend 70g for them, I suggest 6 foot length instead. The fish will be way happier in a 6ft tank than in a 4 foot tank.

For the mid size tangs, those getting up to 12 inches long I suggest at least a 7 foot tank.

For the giants, Naso, Vlamingi etc 8ft or longer. There fish can get 18 to 24 inches long.

Also as a general rule of thumb, front to back glass should be longer then your longest fish.

Pictured is my Blonde Naso, he is about 11 inches long with streamers.
Anyway these are my thoughts on Tank Size for Tangs.
Happy Reefing

20231103_143157.jpg 20231103_143155.jpg
Beautiful blonde naso!

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a six foot, 210 gallon and plenty of hiding spots. My hippo tang is 6 inches or so maybe 7 right now and she does diagonal loops around the tank. I have 2 yellows and a gem that are about the same size, a five inch fox face and a juvenile blue eyes two spot. They are all constantly swimming and constantly eating. I am thinking I’ll be upgrading to a larger tank eventually because I can’t picture these guys being happy when they’re all fully grown in this tank. Just my limited point of view with my personal gang. Planning for either a 7 foot by 4 foot wide tank in the future or a 12 foot by 2 foot tank.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep 5 in a 72x24x24 but am finishing up the instal of an 84x30 footprint tank now to move them onto. Mine all do well in the 180. I have zero aggression and really don't have one that acts dominant but I'm probably just lucky. Mine swim all day but it's just leisurely around the tank they don't pace back and forth looking nervous like I have seen some fish do. I don't know if fish that get fed less act nervous or aggressive? Mine are fatties and get fed multiple times a day. At least 5 or 6 times a day so maybe that keeps them calm I dunno. Most of the time they're just following me back and forth hoping for treats. My naso the largest, I've had about 8 years and she is 8 or 9 inches.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 61 39.9%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 44 28.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back