Tank Stand Made Of Scaffolding

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I hope you are all doing well.

So I am getting a very large custom built frag tank about 6 feet long by 3 feet by 12 inches.

One of the challenges of making this happen is what will hold this aquarium with these dimensions. I was doing research and came across the video by Aaron's aquarium which I have no doubt some of you have seen before (I will link it below).

In the video Aaron builds an aquarium stand for his 420gallon reef out of scaffolding. This seems like an awesome idea due to its ease of assembly and disassembly and transport and cost.

However, the one problem I am having is has anyone actually had experience doing this? I can't actually find anyone that has done this before and if so, what their experiences were and if good or bad. Is it even safe to use as to my knowledge it's galvanized and idk if that would cause problems. I don't mean for this to be a pun but does it STAND the test of time haha? Any info is greatly appreciated!

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where the term scaffolding is coming from, that's structural pipe. Scaffolding is typically in pre-made sections to make sure everything is the same size.

I wouldn't trust it. All of those fittings are just being held by set screws. Any little vibrations or movement and they'll slowly wear out the area they tighten at and work themselves loose. Steel frames should really be welded and this kind of can't be since it's galvanized. I'm also not sure how long plain galvanized steel will hold up against saltwater.

This is also an incomplete stand. There will need to be a top added to evenly distribute the weight. Not sure if he mentions it in the video but the fittings are high points and it looks like in later videos he has plywood leveling it out. It looks like skinning the stand and making usable space in it is a lot of work and added money. Basically, I think it would start out looking like a good deal but cause a lot of headaches down the road.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure where the term scaffolding is coming from, that's structural pipe. Scaffolding is typically in pre-made sections to make sure everything is the same size.

I wouldn't trust it. All of those fittings are just being held by set screws. Any little vibrations or movement and they'll slowly wear out the area they tighten at and work themselves loose. Steel frames should really be welded and this kind of can't be since it's galvanized. I'm also not sure how long plain galvanized steel will hold up against saltwater.

This is also an incomplete stand. There will need to be a top added to to evenly distribute the weight. Not sure if he mentions it in the video but the fittings are high points and it looks like in later videos he has plywood leveling it out. It looks like skinning the stand and making usable space in it is a lot of work and added money. Basically, I think it would start out looking like a good deal but cause a lot of headaches down the road.
That's a fair argument and I appreciate your detailed response my man!

Out of curiosity, what would your recommendation be for a stand? To be honest, I was trying to find like a big heavy duty work bench/table from home Depot since they have weight ratings associated to them, the down side is it would be really hard to find one that's 6'x3'. Any ideas?

Thanks again!

reefinatl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

I hope you are all doing well.

So I am getting a very large custom built frag tank about 6 feet long by 3 feet by 12 inches.

One of the challenges of making this happen is what will hold this aquarium with these dimensions. I was doing research and came across the video by Aaron's aquarium which I have no doubt some of you have seen before (I will link it below).

In the video Aaron builds an aquarium stand for his 420gallon reef out of scaffolding. This seems like an awesome idea due to its ease of assembly and disassembly and transport and cost.

However, the one problem I am having is has anyone actually had experience doing this? I can't actually find anyone that has done this before and if so, what their experiences were and if good or bad. Is it even safe to use as to my knowledge it's galvanized and idk if that would cause problems. I don't mean for this to be a pun but does it STAND the test of time haha? Any info is greatly appreciated!

As stated all of the fittings are high points and set screws are dangerous. If you want to do something similar go with aluminum T-Slot. That's been done, even on a commercial level.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have no problem building the frame of a stand from structural pipe.

As @unchaotic said above, set screws would be a no go. I'd drill and tap on two sides of each joint to lock the pieces in place.

As a frame alone, it's strong. That's way more expensive material than 2x4s even at today's prices and you would still need to clad the outside, add a top to distribute weight, inside shelf for a sump,add a wood sub inside to mount things like a manifold and cord management to.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like @reefinatl said, aluminum extrusion would meet the customizing, transporting, and ease of assembly criteria. It would also add corrosion resistance and be easier to accessorize and skin. But it will cost a lot more.

If money wasn't an issue I would 100% get a steel frame welded and powder coated. Unfortunately money is always an issue for me so my woodworking experience would push me towards a "stick-built" frame.

I am currently planning a 7' long 200g build. I'm waiting for a quote from a welder I know but my current plan is to build the ends and middle supports with cinder blocks (currently unfinished basement with concrete floor) and span LVL boards across those. Naturally the cinder blocks could cause some skinning issues for me but I plan on building the aquarium into the wall.

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else noticed that he added a vertical column support directly under the metal block "load" during the "test" but it is inconspicuously missing throughout the rest of the video? File this under "Things that make you go Hmmmm".

OP
OP
Z

Zbutcher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone else noticed that he added a vertical column support directly under the metal block "load" during the "test" but it is inconspicuously missing throughout the rest of the video? File this under "Things that make you go Hmmmm".
Oh ****! I never even realized that hahahah

Reefer Reboot

F.V.P.!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no doubt that this stand will hold up, it's just that one little part of the video that caught my attention. :)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 29 25.7%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back