Tank stand okay?

epage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m new to reef tank keeping and am starting up a 75 gallon. When I was cutting out a place in my stand for the bulkheads, I might’ve taken out a little too much… is this okay to put water in the tank with the stand like this? The broken part is just the plywood on top of the main supports. Thanks in advance.
IMG_2733.jpeg

Brock collins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, I’m new to reef tank keeping and am starting up a 75 gallon. When I was cutting out a place in my stand for the bulkheads, I might’ve taken out a little too much… is this okay to put water in the tank with the stand like this? The broken part is just the plywood on top of the main supports. Thanks in that
Hey guys, I’m new to reef tank keeping and am starting up a 75 gallon. When I was cutting out a place in my stand for the bulkheads, I might’ve taken out a little too much… is this okay to put water in the tank with the stand like this? The broken part is just the plywood on top of the main supports. Thanks in advance.
IMG_2733.jpeg
That will be fine, you are not going to have a problem with that

OP
OP
E

epage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though the tank is like hovering about the main wood on that section? The frame isn’t making any contact there.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_2733.jpeg
Why not cut a piece of plywood and glue it in to fill the gap?

Peace of mind...

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you have a perfecto or Aqueon style tank there. Those tanks have the rim with the bottom actually floating. They aren’t the flat glass bottom tanks where a foam barrier would help even everything out. I wouldn’t add a price if wood or try using the original wood. Get a full sheet of plywood and put it on top of the stand and cut again where you need to cut. You need to have FULL smooth even contact with the entire run of that tank. Some of the stock stands for those tanks actually have a rim that the tank sits on and nothing in the center. From under the stand you see the bottom glass of the tank. They are built like that because the only part that needs support for those tanks is the rim.

OP
OP
E

epage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you have a perfecto or Aqueon style tank there. Those tanks have the rim with the bottom actually floating. They aren’t the flat glass bottom tanks where a foam barrier would help even everything out. I wouldn’t add a price if wood or try using the original wood. Get a full sheet of plywood and put it on top of the stand and cut again where you need to cut. You need to have FULL smooth even contact with the entire run of that tank. Some of the stock stands for those tanks actually have a rim that the tank sits on and nothing in the center. From under the stand you see the bottom glass of the tank. They are built like that because the only part that needs support for those tanks is the rim.
Ok, so I took the plywood sheet completely off with the intention of just putting the tank directly on the supports. Is this good? My only concern is that the center brace of the tank, for some reason, doesn’t line up perfectly with the center brace of the stand, as seen in the attached image. Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_2742.jpeg
    IMG_2742.jpeg
    155.1 KB · Views: 44

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s rimmed Aqueon tank then you need to make sure the corners are fully supported - this is where all the weight goes. Aqueon’s site also will (IIRC) tell you you need to have the corners supported.

Even if you shim that part it won’t carry any load anyway because the frame isn’t stiff enough to take load out of the glass lane.

If you look how these tanks are set up at your LFS you’ll see they’re typically on little angles that span between posts - those angles are rarely in contact with the tank, and those tanks are there a good long while.

OP
OP
E

epage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s rimmed Aqueon tank then you need to make sure the corners are fully supported - this is where all the weight goes. Aqueon’s site also will (IIRC) tell you you need to have the corners supported.

Even if you shim that part it won’t carry any load anyway because the frame isn’t stiff enough to take load out of the glass lane.

If you look how these tanks are set up at your LFS you’ll see they’re typically on little angles that span between posts - those angles are rarely in contact with the tank, and those tanks are there a good long while.
Did you see my reply to the guy above of what I did. What are your thoughts?

Adamc13o3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the center brace raised? It isn’t flush with the rim right? It’s there for pressure to keep the tank square, I don’t think to support the bottom. If it’s isn’t flush with the rim it doesn’t make a difference that it isn’t resting on the center stand brace.

OP
OP
E

epage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the center brace raised? It isn’t flush with the rim right? It’s there for pressure to keep the tank square, I don’t think to support the bottom. If it’s isn’t flush with the rim it doesn’t make a difference that it isn’t resting on the center stand brace.
It is raised so yeah I don’t think it’s load bearing. One issue I do see though now is that, I don’t know if you can tell but the outermost edge of the rim is sitting flat on the supports, but it looks like a bit of it overhangs in attached image… thoughts? I wouldn’t think that the plywood that was there originally would really help with this since it isn’t a load bearing piece of wood in the stand.
IMG_2748.jpeg

OP
OP
E

epage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is raised so yeah I don’t think it’s load bearing. One issue I do see though now is that, I don’t know if you can tell but the outermost edge of the rim is sitting flat on the supports, but it looks like a bit of it overhangs in attached image… thoughts? I wouldn’t think that the plywood that was there originally would really help with this since it isn’t a load bearing piece of wood in the stand.

I can’t figure out what you mean from the picture.
See how the frame is hanging off the wood a bit?

OP
OP
E

epage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Why not put a new piece of plywood on top so it makes full contact with the frame?
Well my question was would the plywood even make a difference? Since it isn’t load bearing and just sitting on the top… like, the frame still wouldn’t be making contact with the support pieces.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back