Tank / Sump Design

dreamcatcherr9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope this makes sense.....

I see a different style in tank overflows and returns. Related to returns; lines and nozzles, some come at at the sides (corners) of tanks; but I am noticing lot of these high end manufactured PNP tanks to have the return lines coming up at the same center of tank, coming out of or next to overflow box??? So is that a new thing? Better? Worse?

Same for sumps. I see most (like a Trigger System Sump) with water coming in from one side of sump, and return pump and lines on the other end of sump. Again, with these high end tanks with sumps included, have the water coming in and going out on the same side of sump? This really seems strange to me. Thoughts??

reef lover

It's a reef thing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the sca 50 pnp I bought has the return in the overflow as well as a main and emergency drain. I like it not having any plumbing on the outside of tank.
As far as the sump it's a cube as well but the water comes in one camber goes to skimmer chamber than through fuge and to return pump so it still goes from one side to another.

Slawman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My priority on this is all about how easy it is to access the plumbing and sump area for maintenance. Next down the list is cosmetics, people like to not be able to see the plumbing when you look at the display so i guess one central column makes this easier. I have run both and it just comes down to my first point for me.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 52 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.4%
Back