*** Tank Talk with Top Lids & Avast Marine Giveaway!! WIN a Plank Autofeeder and Custom Lid for Your Tank!! ***

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: What’s the coolest surprise you’ve discovered in or about your aquarium?
The amount of little critters that crawl all of over the rock and glass. My bigger tank has been running for awhile with mature rock, I only recently added one fish, so the "buggies" have been reproducing to epic proportions. I need to figure out a lid situation before I add the wrasse and mandarin on my list. :::wink wink nod nod:::: Cant wait to watch them go to town and get big fat bellies.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
TANK TALK: What’s the coolest surprise you’ve discovered in or about your aquarium?
Some people would disagree about it being "cool" but the other day I looked in my tank and saw the first Asterina starfish in this tank. Ok, so nothing new there, pretty much everyone ends up with them eventually, right? The cool part was the wiR of this guy! He was over an inch across.

IMG_20231028_135758565.jpg

Here he is hanging out on some homemade Aragocrete rock.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
TANK TALK: Do you have any other friends on R2R that could benefit from this giveaway? Tag at least 1 friend here for your entry today... 2 tags get 2 entries. (Be sure to put each tag in it's own post so it'll count as a separate entry.)
Tag #1: @tbrown could use these for the new tank he just won. with his luck, he'll probably win these, too. Hahahaha

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
TANK TALK: Do you have any other friends on R2R that could benefit from this giveaway? Tag at least 1 friend here for your entry today... 2 tags get 2 entries. (Be sure to put each tag in it's own post so it'll count as a separate entry.)
Tag #2 I think @Stang67 could make
use of these.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is a tough one, but I'd have to say that, in recent memory, it would be a large feather duster reproducing asexually in my fuge and splitting into two.

Fish Styx

In Cod We Crust
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
TANK TALK: What's been your most expensive / heartbreaking fish loss due to jumping?
It wasn't terribly expensive, but it was heartbreaking, none-the-less. I had a melanarus wrasse jump through the feeding port of my old mesh lid. He subsequently landed on the netting and cooked under the lights.

sadrobotz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When i first converted my freshwater monster tank over to a reef the malaysian trumpet snails i had (a freshwater pest snail), all started breeding and surviving in the saltwater until i added some fish!

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TANK TALK: If there was one thing/product you wish that Avast Marine/Top Lids made that they don't right now, what would it be and how
Top Lids seems to have everything one would need that goes with a lid; not to mention the variety of custom work they do. Just saw on their Insta they did cutouts for mangrove branches on a customer’s tank! So my little brain can’t imagine what else. LoL

Regarding Avast, I’m too new of a reefer to know what I don’t know about equipment, so I will keep quiet on this topic.

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tag #1: @tbrown could use these for the new tank he just won. with his luck, he'll probably win these, too. Hahahaha
Tag #2. I second @tbrown as he was too humble to even mention he won in the SBB chat thread!

Last edited:

ESABOE

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was in my first tank 3 yrs ago. I had purchased some CUC snails, including Nassarius. It was a day or two in and I went to feed the fish their pellets and lo and behold, these magnificent creatures burst out of the sand like a submarine surfacing and proceeded to glide with incredible speed across the sand looking for tidbits. I was fascinated with the fact that they could smell the food within seconds and every day I fed, and they surfaced, I continually was delighted.

I’ll date myself here, but as a child I went to the theatre to see the original Dr Doolittle with Rex Harrison who traveled on a huge pink snail - I loved that movie and especially that snail. Nassarius are my “pink” snails and I delight just like my 7 yr old self.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official Entry: I've got 3 tanks running right now, they're all kind of on auto-pilot and each having their own problems because I simply don't have the time right now.

My 60 gallon is my primary fish tank and has some softies. Red Discosoma Mushrooms are spreading like crazy along with the territory for my clownfish who has claimed them. It's hard to invest too much into this tank because the plan is to transfer it to a 125 gallon once I've got that set up and running.

My 40 gallon NUVO AIO is my primary coral tank. I have a lot of easy SPS and LPS currently growing out of control. I can't get rid of any frags right now because I have an aiptasia infestation that I've already thrown berghia and a peppermint shrimp at to no avail. This tank is also the current nursery home, if you will, to our newest fish, a Mystery Wrasse. Once he grows up he'll being going into that 125g.

My "Wife's Tank" is a maintanance nightmare in a 28g Nanocube. I'm kind of hoping to shut this tank down eventually in favor of starting up a small diy frag tank.

If I won this prize I would probably allocate everything to my 125 gallon. I have wanted to get a plank feeder for years because I do feed Reef Jerky and I would like to be able to have a small constant supply in the tank. I like the natural feeling of having food in the water column.

unchaotic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coolest surprise was finding a nearly inch long stomatella snail in my SPS tank. Unfortunately he was the only one and seems to have died. To counteract that I think the same load of coral had a frag with one aiptasia nem on it. I tried and tried to kill it but it spread and now they are everywhere. I'm thinking of getting a filefish since neither the berghia nor the peppermint shrimp I've added seem to have survived.

Hitchhikers are the ultimate high/low.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's kick this off!!

TANK TALK PROMPT #1: What's your favorite fish among these jumper fish: wrasse, gobies, firefish, hawkfish, snails? Post your reply for your entry!

BONUS PROMPT: Post a picture of one of these in your tank! (Be sure to post it in a separate post)
Wrasse!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official entry! Good to see avast still around after all these years! I remember the diy projects they offered back in the day for people wanting to learn! And good ole craftics 33 glue haha!

sadrobotz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Official Entry: I have a 125 gallon reef that has been running for ~8 months now, i did tank swap (125 to 125) about midway through. primarily softies, but am gathering a horde of euphilia!

HOW DO YOU DEAL WITH BULLIES IN YOUR TANK?

• I place the offender in an acclimation box for a period of time (jail).

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • I remove the offender entirely and reintroduce them at a later time (rehab).

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I use the mirror method (a little reverse psychology).

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • I rearrange rock work (throw them off).

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • I don't tolerate bullies. Bye bye fishy!

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • I've never dealt with a tank bully.

Votes: 17 27.9%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 8 13.1%
Back