Tank too Clean??

GrndHog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my current 80gal Deep Blue tank up and running for a little over 4 years now. I have the normal equipment running, skimmer with refugium and LED/T5 combo for lighting. I havent cleaned the glass in over a month and growth of my corals have come to a halt. What would be the first step if this was your tank??

20180726_172908.jpg

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had this problem but most likely because it was a new tank. I couldnt get levels up no matter what I tried so I continued to add livetsock until I got my levels where I wanted them. You could also try to up feedings maybe? When I try to raise N and P and maintain them according to the RedFeild ratio I always use fresh foods such as frozen mysis or brine. In my expirience when you try to raise levels with pellets or flakes it will throw the levels way out of the N,P ratio im assuming its because they are artificially made.

OP
OP
GrndHog

GrndHog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I'll start feeding a little more but only have two fish....haha!! And as far as monti's go, I'll never get them in my next go around. I created a cave with a red and now I have a calcium sucking ugly mass of.....I have no idea!

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, I'll start feeding a little more but only have two fish....haha!! And as far as monti's go, I'll never get them in my next go around. I created a cave with a red and now I have a calcium sucking ugly mass of.....I have no idea!

No wonder! Only 2 fish! Yeah thats true some monti’s grow like weeds. Maybe try some less invasive species next time? Such as Beach bum or a Jedi MindTrick. These two have been SLOW for me[emoji23] if only they could grow as fast as caps...what lighting do you run? Im getting decent growth off my caps but not rocket fast everyone says they do.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you feeding the corals? I would start by increasing that and increase your fish load. I'm not saying you need a ton of fish but I'm sure you can find another 2-5 fishes you like that would increase the bioload and add some enjoyment to the tank.

OP
OP
GrndHog

GrndHog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No wonder! Only 2 fish! Yeah thats true some monti’s grow like weeds. Maybe try some less invasive species next time? Such as Beach bum or a Jedi MindTrick. These two have been SLOW for me[emoji23] if only they could grow as fast as caps...what lighting do you run? Im getting decent growth off my caps but not rocket fast everyone says they do.
I'm running a Reefbreeder Photon II with a 4 hr supplement of 3 T5's
Light.jpg
FullSizeRender (9).jpg

OP
OP
GrndHog

GrndHog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often are you feeding the corals? I would start by increasing that and increase your fish load. I'm not saying you need a ton of fish but I'm sure you can find another 2-5 fishes you like that would increase the bioload and add some enjoyment to the tank.
I have this Devil Blue Damsel that is literally the devil Im kinda leery to add any new fish. He is the fattest Damsel Ive ever seen

Phelipe's Ocean

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh no wonder! T5 LED Combo is a beast. Im just running LED’s. Im thinking of adding supplement T5’s. Im starting a new build around december where I will be building a T5, Metal Halide, LED combo hopefully the best of every world. Where did you get the brackets? I was searching so long that I gave up and used the ceiling[emoji23]

OP
OP
GrndHog

GrndHog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brackets run down the back and are screwed into the bottom of the stand and the top, so the are rock solid. I remember finding them on some pet stores website. I'll do a search for ya.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 40.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 31 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back