Tank transfer sand: clean to dirty

  • Thread starter Thread starter JoJosReef
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JoJosReef

There's some lovely filth down here!
View Badges
Joined
Sep 27, 2021
Messages
20,730
Reaction score
80,872
Location
Orange County, CA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am moving the following from a nice, clean, mature tank that I unfortunately had to break down into an ugly, neglected, cyano-covered desktop nano.

Mandarin
Pink streak wrasse
A very nice Marshall Islands live rock arch
Smaller live rocks/rubble
Trumpet coral (Astraeosmilia curvata)
Fat head dendro
False lobo (Acanthastrea pachysepta)
Teal trachy (Trachyphyllia geoffroyi)
Lesser star coral (Paragoniastrea australensis)
Scroll coral (Turbinaria sp.; cf reniformis)
Koji Wada pink Nepthea
Fuzzy Yeti leather
Various zoas
Various shrooms
Various gorgonians
Blue Tridacna squamosa clam
2x peppermint shrimp
Fire cleaner shrimp
3x dwarf red hermits
Full complement of snail CUC


My question: Would you remove the sand from the current 25g nano, or at least the cyano-covered top layer, and replace with sand from the 83gal nice tank? Or would the disruption of the various sand beds make the water too toxic to transfer all of the above?

NOTE: I am planning to remove everything from the 25 except the sand bed, so there would only be Sand. It is likely worth keeping at least part of the sand bed since it is TBS live gulf sand.

Thanks!
 
I would just syphon and clean the 25g sand bed and keep it. Maybe add a cup of sand from the 83 gallon to seed it with the good bacteria.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 8 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 2 11.1%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 11.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new