Tank trouble

mvanfleet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning everyone,

I need some help trying to determine what happened. I have a 250gallon tank that has been up and healthily for about 18 months. I got home from work yesterday and found my tank with a milky white tint to the water and ALL of my fish dying or dead. I was able to quickly get my Naso and Blonde Naso out and into a QT tank, but all was lost for everyone else except a pair of maroon clownfish, all the inverts seemed ok, my aiptasia eating filefish, and I had two of my three ribbon eels make it. I found that my carpet anemone had taken a walk and got a little too close to one of the powerheads. He is a large guy so he was not totally sucked in and chopped up, but a part of him was, a very small part.

Did that carpet anemone release a toxin, is that what made the milky white color and killed the fish, or was it the stinging tentacles that got chopped and pushed through the tank. The ladder would explain why the clownfish did not seem affected.

The water looked clearer this morning, but the rest of the tank is destroyed as I leveled my aquascape trying to get the Naso's out. But before I put anything back in the tank I would love to know what happened for sure.

The survivors seem to be doing well this morning, they made it through the night, but I lost so much and am just heart broken. My Yellow tangs, powder brown, regal Angel, and a blue ribbon eel, just to name a few. I am really contemplating tearing down everything and throwing in the towel.

Any thoughts on what happened and steps needed to make sure the tank is safe again?

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
my first suggestion is to test the water. following some addition of carbon to filter any toxins out of the water (if any).

i believe you may be on to something with perhaps the anemone releasing toxins into the water, but i am unfamiliar with that species..

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 31 34.1%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 51 56.0%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back