Tank turning 1 yr. old! What next?

Poot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I’ve been in the saltwater hobby for about a year. I thoroughly enjoy this experience and I want to continue advancing in the hobby. Like many of us, my primary goal is to achieve a thriving mixed reef system. Now that my first reef tank is about one year old, I’ve reached a point where I’m uncertain about which direction to go. I have a few questions I hope experienced reefers can answer to keep my tank moving in the right direction.

Questions

1. My nitrates and phosphates are a bit high. While I don’t believe I’m overfeeding, I’m aware that this is usually the source of the issue. Should I focus on this issue before I move to the next issue in question #2?
  2. My alkalinity and pH is low yet my calcium and magnesium is high. What could this indicate? I’ve perused Randy’s articles on reef chemistry and it seems that ammonia could drive down my alkalinity? Should I consider dosing with soda ash or kalkwasser? If I use kalkwasser, will that overwhelm my system with calcium?
  3. Any other feedback to help improve my system?
C08F3276-CB26-4335-8B2C-06B532AD5E49.jpeg
584022A5-A0CA-4618-B7FB-86D1FA01449F.jpeg
8084B67F-E0F0-47E8-BE24-5EC90E24C32E.jpeg

Equipment

Reef Octopus T90 tank w/ sump(49 g; about 70 total volume)

CPR HOB Refugium (small)

Reef Octopus Classic I50 INT skimmer

ReefMat 500 roller with Matrix Carbon in media basket

1 Red Sea ReefLED 160 on the RL160- 15K program (Blue at 26%, White at 20%)

CoralVue Hydros X3 controller w/ pH probe

Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

Stock

1 pygmy angel

1 Starry blenny

1 Radial filefish

1 Sixline wrasse

2 Clowns

2 Bubble tips and 1 rock flower anemone

A few snails, fighting conchs, hermits, emerald crabs, a brittle star, a pistol shrimp, and a pompom crab

Mostly LPS though trying some SPS (birdsnest and monti). Also have a sun coral.

Parameters

Salinity- 1.025 SG

pH- 7.82-7.98

Nitrates- 2.8-6.1 ppm

Phosphates- 0.3-0.4 ppm

Calcium- 480-520

Magnesium- 1100-1380 ppm

Alkalinity- 7-7.5 dKH

No ammonia or nitrite detected

Tank Routine

1 cube of Hikari Mega-Marine, a 3/4” section of Rod’s Food, or a pinch of TDO Chroma Boost once per day

1-2 sheets of seaweed per week

1-2 tbs. live phyto per week

10 gallon (14%) water changes once per week

Additional Notes

No major problem algae growth in display tank though cyano between glass and sand bed

Some growth in some corals and minimal to no growth in others. Since I have no experience to compare it to, I’m not sure if the growth rates is normal

Good chaeto growth though quite a bit of cyano in refugium

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like your tank is doing well. I can see spots of coraline and eventually the green slime algae on the rocks will turn to coraline. Parameters off slightly though. Phosphate is way elevated while nitrates slightly low. Pellet food raises phosphate. Use some phosguard to walk the level down and raise your nitrates to 10 to 15. Magnesium should be 1350 to 1400. Ph slightly low so fresh air can help. I keep a fan running in my room. I would do an ICP test to checks everything and rent a par meter to check your lights.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

Poot

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like your tank is doing well. I can see spots of coraline and eventually the green slime algae on the rocks will turn to coraline. Parameters off slightly though. Phosphate is way elevated while nitrates slightly low. Pellet food raises phosphate. Use some phosguard to walk the level down and raise your nitrates to 10 to 15. Magnesium should be 1350 to 1400. Ph slightly low so fresh air can help. I keep a fan running in my room. I would do an ICP test to checks everything and rent a par meter to check your lights.
Great thank you!

Upvote 0

RandyL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank looks great and you're obviously doing the right things. If you can dose a bit of kalkwasser, start with a very slow drip and check parameters frequently until you get it dialed in. That can take some time, but patience will help. Slow changes are best!

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back