Tank turning brown

fishboy15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is my tank turning brown? I think it is cause of the tap water I use. Not sure if that is the reason. What other reasons may my tank be turning brown? The powerheads, filter and heater was turning real brown, making my tank very dark and not very clean and nice looking!!! Will RODI water fix my problems?
Where do I buy RODI water and how much is it? Just cleaned the tank and looks a lot better.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1441840162.278077.jpg

Chefbill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RODI is at many LFSs, also WalMart or buy the filter setup from Amazon or BRS. Tap water is probably high in phosphates and most likely also has chlorine, so a definate no no.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DIATOMS:
diatoms_03_zpsfbc5643d.jpg
Diatoms are just a natural things that happens in a new aquarium and will normally will subside with in a few weeks to a couple months.

ID: This Algae normally forms on the sand, glass and rock work of a new tank. It has a variety of colors from a dark reddish color to tan, brown and green. On a lot of occasions there will be oxygen bubble's trapped in the algae from photosynthesis.

HOW TO CONTROL IT:
Medium to strong flow across the sand bed and rock, and watch the amounts of Silicate being added to the system ( top off water and water change purity is the main cause for silicate being introduced to the system )

NATURAL HERBIVORES:
Astrea snail, Turbo snail, Tangs, Trochus snail, Almost all blennies.

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been running?

Yes, tap water will encourage algae to grow. Most local fish stores that have saltwater fish sell water.

Marquiseo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is my tank turning brown? I think it is cause of the tap water I use. Not sure if that is the reason. What other reasons may my tank be turning brown? The powerheads, filter and heater was turning real brown, making my tank very dark and not very clean and nice looking!!! Will RODI water fix my problems?
Where do I buy RODI water and how much is it? Just cleaned the tank and looks a lot better.
Enough said.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled water work for me many years with no problems.;)

OP
OP
fishboy15

fishboy15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is established and has been up for a while. It's not a new tank. It's so annoying watching the brown algae take over my tank. Do you really think the tap water is my main problem?

OP
OP
fishboy15

fishboy15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a lfs near me.. Anywhere else I can go and get some? Besides Walmart, I heard the ro di water or something is not very good.

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled water from Walmart its fine.;)

OP
OP
fishboy15

fishboy15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled water from Walmart its fine.;)
Are you sure?:( what's the difference with it and rodi? Will it fix my algae problem? My powerheads are crap brown and its gross to look at.

OP
OP
fishboy15

fishboy15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much is it at walmart and is it in those vending machine things?

Mil26

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use rodi but here where I live have windmill express so every week for a 1.25$ for 5 gallons I use that for water changes and my water is crystal clear I don't use filters I don't use a skimmer no more but my tank is only 20g

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its from Walmart but its not in a machine, its with all the other water in gallon jugs , the distilled water is what I get ,its about 89 cents a gallon. fixing your problems takes a little bit of time, patience and regular weekly water changes, its not going to change overnight it takes time. Its takes weeks sometimes months, but its worth it. patience is the key and lots of it!

charleslotz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would not use distiller water ,... I actually tested phosphates from 3 different samples from Kroger and as expected high in phosphates... Just my opinion...

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW, I've been using tap water for the past 18 years or so. In the beginning it was VERY BROWN. Now, sometimes, I see it again in another tank... That RO/DI doesn't necessarily solve all your problems... Just chalk it up to a blemish... (acne)

http://www.reefcleaners.org/nuisance-algae-id-guide

Last edited:

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I would not use distiller water ,... I actually tested phosphates from 3 different samples from Kroger and as expected high in phosphates... Just my opinion...
;)

OP
OP
fishboy15

fishboy15

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ahruk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NOOO!!!! Coralline algae looks pretty until you have to spend every waking hour scraping it off your glass so you can actually look in your tank [HASHTAG]#hate[/HASHTAG] coralline algae

ReeferJohn408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, coralline algae are only nice if you can control it. :) but it's one of an indicator that your tank is maturing.

RO/DI is the safer side. Never had issues since started using it 12 years ago. I also used to rely on tap water but never had good results, at least in my experience, it may work to others though. :)

Titanwerx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really suggest reading up on your cities water if you are using tap and especially if having problems. Every city is different and many (like in mine) use chloramines that is harmful to fish along with other impurities you do not want in your aquarium. Also you didn't say how old the tank is just that it was established?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back