Tank turning brown

ls2ttgto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get your tank water tested. Check phosphates and Nitrates. Get those levels in check. Second, stop using tap water. If you can't get an RO/DI system with a TDS meter. Then just use Distilled water that comes in the 1gal jugs. I used it for quite a bit a time successfully when i moved and didn't have my RO/DI system.

Betty1964

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay...you are using tap water? There are a few problems with that. You are adding a lot of chemicals and heavy metals to your tank that will build up and eventually hurt or kill most of your tanks inhabitants. At the very least, your water needs to run through a carbon filter. Do you have a laundry room with a bit of extra space? A ro/di filter is not that expensive (I got my first one from Purewaterclub.com) and is MUCH cheaper than buying the water already made up. You will hang the ro/di filter on the wall. Attach it your cold water tap. You will want two barrels (I use 35 gallons, but use what fits). One is for your ro/di clean water to run into. Your filter will come with complete schematics for set up as well. The filter will also need somewhere to get rid of the "garbage" that can't go in your tank. I would put it down the washer drain pipe. This is NOT something to leave unattended unless you have a float valve to turn it off. The second barrel is to mix salt water in. After you have a barrel of ro/di water, move the water to the other barrel (i would use a small pump and bit of tubing). The second barrel is going to be your salt mixing barrel. Add your reef salt to this barrel according to the instructions. Use a small powerhead to mix it. Now you have saltwater ready for water changes and emergencies and you have ro/di water for topping off your display tank and making more salt water.

Justiful

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cheat...

I hire a service to bring me water, and do water tests and changes and cleaning every 2 weeks. But I am a new to salt water, and it is just easier. They also can do emergency calls ext if needed.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 11 8.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 85 67.5%
  • Neither.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back