Tank turnover too high?

That turnover is fine for an SPS tank. My tank is SPS dominant and is at 50 times. I understand the World Wide Corals runs their SPS grow out tanks at 100% flow with bare bottoms. Coral reefs can hit flow that are almost astronomical compared to a reef tank.
 
That turnover is fine for an SPS tank. My tank is SPS dominant and is at 50 times. I understand the World Wide Corals runs their SPS grow out tanks at 100% flow with bare bottoms. Coral reefs can hit flow that are almost astronomical compared to a reef tank.
I will not have an SPS dominant tank though. It'll be a full mixed reef, so I believe based on the replies in this thread I'll need to turn it down. I intend to turn cut the return pump back to about 40-45% this evening when I get home from work.
 
Powerheads are for flow. Return is not for flow. You want your water in your sump getting filtered/skimmed/etc....not rushing back out to the tank
 
Yes.. I had to turn my flow down some in my acropora only tank. I had two colonies where the tips cavitated/became super concave because of the flow; I have some colonies bending away from the flow too.
 
I cut the return pump down to 50% power, which is roughly 750-800 gph after subtracting head height. That puts my turnover rate at about 6x through the sump. The tank actually looks a bit calmer, much less turbulent.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new