Tank turnover too high?

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That turnover is fine for an SPS tank. My tank is SPS dominant and is at 50 times. I understand the World Wide Corals runs their SPS grow out tanks at 100% flow with bare bottoms. Coral reefs can hit flow that are almost astronomical compared to a reef tank.

OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That turnover is fine for an SPS tank. My tank is SPS dominant and is at 50 times. I understand the World Wide Corals runs their SPS grow out tanks at 100% flow with bare bottoms. Coral reefs can hit flow that are almost astronomical compared to a reef tank.
I will not have an SPS dominant tank though. It'll be a full mixed reef, so I believe based on the replies in this thread I'll need to turn it down. I intend to turn cut the return pump back to about 40-45% this evening when I get home from work.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Powerheads are for flow. Return is not for flow. You want your water in your sump getting filtered/skimmed/etc....not rushing back out to the tank

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes.. I had to turn my flow down some in my acropora only tank. I had two colonies where the tips cavitated/became super concave because of the flow; I have some colonies bending away from the flow too.

OP
OP
BeaverLakeAndy

BeaverLakeAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cut the return pump down to 50% power, which is roughly 750-800 gph after subtracting head height. That puts my turnover rate at about 6x through the sump. The tank actually looks a bit calmer, much less turbulent.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back