Tank Upgrade and Pests

mikethefishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to upgrade my 125G tank to 550G tank.

My current 125G tank is about a year old. I've got some normal pests I would like to kill off for the new tank like aiptasia and vermetid snails and probably ich too. So my plan is to do a restart. Going to cycle the new tank fresh with new dry rock and dead sand. Then frag my coral colonies and put them in QT for about 3 months, willing to down size my corals and regrow them out. Going to QT my fish as well in batches for 3 weeks per batch.

I would like to reuse the rocks and sand from my current tank in the new tank. I'm thinking to just rinse it with RO water and leave it out in the sun for about month then rinse again. Will that kill all the pests? It's pretty sunny and warm where I live. I'm hoping the sun will cook the rocks and sand to kill off anything on there. Might be too optimistic.

Hooked_4_Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm planning to upgrade my 125G tank to 550G tank.

My current 125G tank is about a year old. I've got some normal pests I would like to kill off for the new tank like aiptasia and vermetid snails and probably ich too. So my plan is to do a restart. Going to cycle the new tank fresh with new dry rock and dead sand. Then frag my coral colonies and put them in QT for about 3 months, willing to down size my corals and regrow them out. Going to QT my fish as well in batches for 3 weeks per batch.

I would like to reuse the rocks and sand from my current tank in the new tank. I'm thinking to just rinse it with RO water and leave it out in the sun for about month then rinse again. Will that kill all the pests? It's pretty sunny and warm where I live. I'm hoping the sun will cook the rocks and sand to kill off anything on there. Might be too optimistic.
I'm new to the hobby so I don't have much input, but sunlight is a very good sterilizer. I just want to say... man going to a 550 gallon tank that sounds awesome I hope to make it there one day. Good luck!

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
black plastic rubbish bag in the full sun will cook it...then pressure wash it, then cure it in salt water to rid the ammonia

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
does it have to be salt water? can I just use RO?
no water just put the rock into a rubbish bag and let it cook in the sun...it will get so hot nothing will survive in it..only down side once wet again there will be a ammonia hit...pressure wash to reduce it then put in salt water with an aerator to cure till ammonia gone

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back