Tank upgrade - stand + coral questions

asome_one

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established 15 gal fluval flex tank with most coral attached to rock. This tank is already sumped to a sump capable of supporting up to a 50+gal tank. I am going to be going through a process of treating the rock with hydrogen peroxide to rid myself of pesky algae. Anyway, on a whim I obtained a drilled 35 gal square rimless tank for very cheap. Obviously, I jumped on it and was considering setting it up as a new tank but I think it makes more sense to move the current salt tank to this bigger one as it would suit my fishes needs more. So little problem, I built a stand for 2 tanks my 15 gal and a 10 gal freshwater standalone. I have since torn down the freshwater and my saltwater 15 gal sits alone on one side of the stand. So the "new" 35 gal cube overhangs the sides of the stand by at least 2 inches on the front and back.
Question here would be if I simply if it would be structurally sound to just add a second level to the stand with 1 inch wood screwed into the current stand that overhangs the current stands edges. Basically, I'd add another box on top of the stand to support the larger tank diameter. I would likely get 22n x 20in x 1 in pieces and lay a piece of pressboard down on top to cover just the portion the tank would sit on. The other option would be to add another rectangle that is 22 x 56? x 1 that covers the entire top of the stand. I'd rather not junk the stand as all my plumbing and return manifold is customized to this stand.
Onto the only coral that really is of concern. My rear wall is almost completely covered in gsp. This took quite some time to cultivate and I would prefer to keep it. Is there a way I could scrape it off without killing it and move it to the rear wall of the oncoming tank?
Thanks! 20210316_023136.jpg 20210316_021924.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Second level or simply a wooden base attached to existing stand as long as it’s well attached and level

OP
OP
asome_one

asome_one

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Second level or simply a wooden base attached to existing stand as long as it’s well attached and level
Would this work? I took the top off a biocube stand that was wobbly. Its the right dimensions, will that overhang be fine? I'll be drilling some holes for the placement of the dowels.

Attachments

• 20210316_205821.jpg
    20210316_205821.jpg
    135.3 KB · Views: 23

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Would this work? I took the top off a biocube stand that was wobbly. Its the right dimensions, will that overhang be fine? I'll be drilling some holes for the placement of the dowels.
It will work. Assure it is level

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back