Tank upgrade / swap advice

Webbinator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will be moving from my existing Evo 13.5 that's been successfully running for 14 months now to a Innovative Marine 30L AIO system very soon. I'm looking for advice on how to make this as seamless and successful as possible. I already know not to reuse the old sand and have already purchased new. I will also be rinsing the new sand to keep down the cloudiness upon adding water. I'll also be moving over the existing live rock from the Evo but will be adding new rock to fill in the scape. Thinking of using Caribsea Liferock for additional rock work but open to suggestions. I know I can use most of the water from the Evo but it will only be about 1/3 of the total volume of the new so I will essentially be doing a very large water change. I'll make sure all parameters are in line and match between the old and new water. My existing livestock that I'll be moving over consists of the usual CUC along with 2 clowns, a watchman goby and a cleaner shrimp. I also have a long tentacle nem that has been doing very well since adding it several months ago. Also have a mix of corals. I feel like I will be basically going from my well established smaller tank to a slightly larger totally new and young system. Is there anything I'm missing and should be thinking about to make this go well and not have a big mess? Thanks!

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
take all the rock and have the water and put in the new tank. You will be absolutely fine.

The only thing that makes a system "young" is bacteria and you have that already.

Squeaky McMurdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved everything from a 29 to a 60 and then to a 125 with no losses. It was basically like a big water change both times. Keep something like Prime on hand just in case your ammonia spikes and your critters should be fine.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 20.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back