Tank upgrade

Gavin1274

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,
I hope you are all doing great. I have been thinking of upgrading my tank to a 125 I currently have a 55. And my tank now does not have a sump and that’s another reason I am upgrading is to have one. So I will need to be upgrading and getting new rock and sand. The tank I’m looking at is 60x18x24. What type size and how many wave makers do you think I’ll need? I currently have two small 1050 Current USA pumps that I’m not too happy with. How many pounds of sand and live rock? And what additional items will I need for a sump? I want it to have a refugium, a good skimmer I plan on adding an ATO as well as a calcium reactor. I already have a two part dosing system. My current lighting is two AI prime HD+ lights. What brands and type to you all recommend for the extra equipment I will be needing and getting as well as what else do you all think I should look into getting and adding for this new system?
Thank you all in advance

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125 but 72 long. I have 4 wavemakers. 3 bigger currents and prob. will plan to replace over time. I do like 1 controller for 3 of them. The 4th is a jebao I think. I have a 35 gal sump. Bashsea or something. It has a refugium. There are online tools to figure sand. currently I have just 40 lbs as I went a very thin sandbed. I may add another 10 or 20 lbs in as it is a bit too thin for my tastes but no rush. I purchased 80 lbs so have it. Rocks again, use a general calculator but then go by what your vision is for rockwork. I don't remember what I used originally but did take a bunch out at one time. I use it in the refugium as well (no sand). You can also go check out build threads of folk with your size tank. Check out mine for what I did at the beginning. I use 3 of the vipersprectre lights. For an ATO I use a 20 gal tall hex tank that sits next to the main tank. No room under. 3/4 of cabinet for sump, the rest walled off for electrical. Again, you can ck the build thread, mine and others for idea. The best thing is to get your vision of what you want down on paper. I even drew up my plumbing diagrams, using google for ideas. and yeah, its in my build thread lol's. and start a build thread now as you are planning

Good luck. Will be fun.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 92 48.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back