0   0   0
I wish they would have showed more of that last tank where they were eating at
Atleast that tank had REAL coral

marinworld

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well of course there is going to be good and bad about a show like this. Hopefully people will do their homework when starting an aquarium and hopefully they will come here to get the info! :)

Revhtree,
Wholeheartedly agree with your statement; there will be good and bad. However, the question we should be asking about this show is; shouldn't we make an attempt at showing the proper procedures in not only building an aquarium, but also the proper methods of cycling, and conditioning the system, proper introduction of the livestock, and the reasons for using these methods. Don't say, "Thats boring and not for TV." There are many programs on TV that go into detail about the work necessary to accomplish something. This certainly is important, since we are dealing with living organisms.

The show can still have lighter moments, yet still show some responsibilities of owning and maintaining a saltwater aquarium. To just be silly, and joke around, like this show, so far, seems to concentrate on, is irresponsible. Then to say showing the setups in this manner, doesn't have a negative effect on "newbies" in my opinion is a big mistake.

I have been in this hobby for many years, (45+) both as a hobbyist, as well as owning and running a saltwater retail/wholesale operation. I've seen what things like "Nemo" and even the "Ninja Turtles" do to people. It creates a sudden desire to have something like this. And if they get the wrong impression about the care/maintenance of something as complex as a saltwater aquarium, then it only causes problems for everyone associated with that field. The saltwater hobby has come under ecological scrutiny, and it doesn't benefit any of us, if we take a flip attitude about it.

I'm sure the gentlemen at ATM must be knowledgable about the proper ways of a saltwater aquarium. However, so far with the episodes shown, it sure doesn't come across that way. Some airtime should be used to explain the proper procedures. A little less practical joking, would do wonders for our hobby. I'm sure you're aware, there are many out there, that would love to shut this whole industry down. Getting the idea that setting up one of these systems is a snap from start to finish doesn't help.

Lets get TV exposure, but lets do it right!!!!!!!!!!

Marinworld:bigsmile:

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good imo especially in tonites show with the first reef tank being built on the show from what I see

Reef lvr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far so good imo especially in tonites show with the first reef tank being built on the show from what I see
I agree i think tonight was the best so far imo.. They don't have enough airtime to go into detail about proper procedures + they probably would not get the ratings they get from playing/joking around.. I myself would like to hear more explaining!! Cool show thou

GR808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really enjoy watching the show, not only because I'm a hobbyist but just the fact that these folks are entertaining. Yeah they could get into the jargon and complexities of marine aquariums but that probably would not be so much of a seller as the personalities. I think the show appeals to a wide audience rather than just the hobbyist.

holyscoly

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i enjoy the show alot.just wish they should have explained the lighting they used,why no skimmer even with a fuge a skimmer is a must in a reef tank especially with all the fish they added at 1 shot.they didnt talk about the basic 3 in a reef tank cal,alk,mag etc i think they could have talked about all that in 2 minutes tops.:squigglemouth:

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They showed a skimmer under the fuge in the plans, as well as the return pump. I agree, ca and alk plus lighting could have been explained. It was a great episode though.

Doe5ia14

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think if they talked about ca, alk, and mag it would just sound like jibberish to the general public and they just want to simplify for the audience. I wonder if they leave all the fish in there since they had a large group of clowns in that reef tank.

Caption This Contest OFFICIAL VOTING POLL! (make a post in this thread and you could win a prize too)

• "What do you mean?! I am smiling!

• "Did she really just rejoin the ReefAholics Anonymous group...AGAIN?!"

• "Take a look at the new Sexy Shrimp!"

• "I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clownfish? I amuse you?"

• "Looks like your living room is going through the ugly stage"

• "Aghhh! Go put on your makeup before feeding me, please!"

• "You try eating sand and not get constipated!"

• "Everyone, hide! The landlord is coming!"

• "He touched the butt!"

• "They forgot to shut off the RO line and left for work...AGAIN"

• "Get off my sand!"

• "What do you mean I can't say that on a family friendly forum?"

• "My face looking over my bank statement after a reef show..."

• "Kids, you're grounded! Get back in my mouth!"

• "When you see a human with a bucket and know somethings is about to go down."

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back