Tap water or RODI?

Neptune 555

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey.... For your large tanks that are FOWLR (no coral) do you use tap or RODI for your salt water?

Wondering how bad it is to rely on tap water?

Neptune...

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey.... For your large tanks that are FOWLR (no coral) do you use tap or RODI for your salt water?

Neptune...

The problem with tap is that your never sure about the contaminants that are in it. You can obtain a water analysis report from your local water company, but it's only going to reflect that test at that one time. They add more or less disinfectants such as chloramine through out the year.

If you use tap and it's got high levels of copper, that copper will soak into your substrate and rock, that sand and rock will be useless to use if you decide to change over to a reef tank.

It's a risk in my book. It's best to have and use a RO/DI unit when ever your running a saltwater system.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think you would hear most people (Myself Included) saying RODI is still the best way to go. There are a couple out there who use tap water but those are getting fewer and fewer. Depending on your fish your not bound by frequent WC's in a FOWLR setup so an RODI isn't a huge expense in water.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0

Neptune...
I used tap water for 20 years on my softy tanks. But my tap water had really low tds. ( 25 and lower)
While I didn't know exactly what was in the water, I did know that it was ok as long as I didn't over feed and really stayed on top of tank maintenance. It was a every other day thing. Alot of carbon and gfo, and a multitude of other products.
I went through a lot of clean up crews and had alot of tangs that grazed algae all day.
It was a struggle, but it worked for a while.
Fast forward a few years and as I wanted nicer corals I realized that one of my biggest issues was the water quality.
So I eventually bought a rodi unit.

Depending on your water quality you might get away with it for a while. But it takes alot of joy out of it when your maintenance schedule is a almost daily thing.
Plus, most people who run fish only tanks tend ( what I've seen) to get into bigger fish that also contributes alot of algae fertilizer.

I also have to add, knowing what I do now, if when I first started in saltwater would I get a rodi unit, I would say definitely yes.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back