Tap water

Reab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I was getting asked more frequently than I care, why can't I just use tap water treated with prime?? I use it for all my fresh water and they do just fine! Others use tap water and they have nice tanks!

First, I understand that not everyone has the same tap water, personally, mine is HORRIBLE, we're talking 600+ tds on a good day. So it is possible that your water would be pure enough to make it work. That being said, if you are going to get into the hobby and spend the money on lights coral fish etc. why would you skimp on the largest part of the aquarium.

This usually was enough to sway people away from using tap but not everyone. So, I took a picture for everyone to see the difference plain as day. This is Flame Atomic Emission Spectroscopy of RODI water and tap. Essentially what is happening is the equipment is sucking the water up and passing it through the flame superheating the elements and allowing them to be seen visibly. Example, the base color of the flame is blue if copper passes through it will turn green.

RODI:
RODI.png

Tap:
Tap.png

So, now that you have seen the difference, do you really think that if you add a chemical to the mess of what is already in there, it will neutralize the effects and make it safe to use?

MSB123

Someone out there put something smart here.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime is supposed to detox Ammonia, remove chlorine and chloramines. Beyond that all the nasty stuff remains.
Yes. At 600TDS, you will see algae blooms like I did when I was using tap. My tds is~500

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I was getting asked more frequently than I care, why can't I just use tap water treated with prime?? I use it for all my fresh water and they do just fine! Others use tap water and they have nice tanks!

First, I understand that not everyone has the same tap water, personally, mine is HORRIBLE, we're talking 600+ tds on a good day. So it is possible that your water would be pure enough to make it work. That being said, if you are going to get into the hobby and spend the money on lights coral fish etc. why would you skimp on the largest part of the aquarium.

This usually was enough to sway people away from using tap but not everyone. So, I took a picture for everyone to see the difference plain as day. This is Flame Atomic Emission Spectroscopy of RODI water and tap. Essentially what is happening is the equipment is sucking the water up and passing it through the flame superheating the elements and allowing them to be seen visibly. Example, the base color of the flame is blue if copper passes through it will turn green.

RODI:
RODI.png

Tap:
Tap.png

So, now that you have seen the difference, do you really think that if you add a chemical to the mess of what is already in there, it will neutralize the effects and make it safe to use?

My biggest concerns with tap water, in rank order, are:

1. copper
2. Silicate
3. Other impurities

I discuss the issues and show data on water tests here:

Aquarium Chemistry: Tap Water in Reef Aquaria
https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2004/1/chemistry

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back