target feeding toad stool mushroom

MrSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The coral blend is a "finer" mix than the original. The original has larger chunks and (if I remember right) is geared more towards a reef tank with a heavier fish population.

Jhildebrand

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To address the issue of it opening up, I'm not so sure I'd focus on feeding. Toadstools need enough flow to be able to shed their mucus membrane every so often. If that's not an issue I'd do some testing as they have very modest light requirements and this is not likely an issue. These corals do well with no supplemental feeding, and if it's not open, it's not going to be eating what you're putting in the water. How long has is been closed?

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To address the issue of it opening up, I'm not so sure I'd focus on feeding. Toadstools need enough flow to be able to shed their mucus membrane every so often. If that's not an issue I'd do some testing as they have very modest light requirements and this is not likely an issue. These corals do well with no supplemental feeding, and if it's not open, it's not going to be eating what you're putting in the water. How long has is been closed?

+1 well put, food is not the issue
leather type corals often close for a few day to shed, however two weeks is quite a while.

if flow and light are fine:

how long have you had it
do you have other corals and how are they doing
are your basic params in check
is there any disintergration

leathers are pretty much indestructable as long as basic reef requirements are being met

OP
OP
heliguy71

heliguy71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
toad stool pics

pic's of my toad stool mushroom.is this normal looking?this is how it's been looking for almost two weeks:sad:

Attachments

• DSC08248.jpg
    DSC08248.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 119
  • DSC08249.jpg
    DSC08249.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 172

daddavis1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Toadstools may open at night and close up during the day but this is because of the chemistry changes between the dark and light cycle of the tank. Between the 2 toadstools I have one opens predominately under reduced lighting. Will close up for quite a while when the rest of the t5s are lit before reopening.

If its closed all the time you may need to consider doing a water change with different salt you may have had a bad batch. If it is toxin related this will also help reduce the concentration. I would also consider activated carbon.

Dan

daddavis1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There may be something picking on them or maybe even to much flow especially since the other corals appear fine. How old is the carbon, that should be changed out periodically.

Dan

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back