Target Mandarin Dull White Spots

brandomoore1819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a target Mandarin I’ve had for going in 3 weeks. He’s been eating good in a small tank to deal with an overpopulation of pods. My plan was to leave it in there for two weeks and take it home to my 90 gallon. The fish now has full white patches near its dorsal fin that I don’t know what they are. Help please. It’s been eating good but today it doesn’t seem to be moving much Just hanging out in a corner by itself. I’ve been dosing with more pods every couple days so it has a good soured at this point.

20103590-F1EF-40BD-98C2-9D8D023EBB98.jpeg

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better pics and a video would help a lot.
Do the spots look like diffuse patches or like distinct grains?
These guys are usually pretty disease resistant, it might just be excess mucus you are seeing.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have a target Mandarin I’ve had for going in 3 weeks. He’s been eating good in a small tank to deal with an overpopulation of pods. My plan was to leave it in there for two weeks and take it home to my 90 gallon. The fish now has full white patches near its dorsal fin that I don’t know what they are. Help please. It’s been eating good but today it doesn’t seem to be moving much Just hanging out in a corner by itself. I’ve been dosing with more pods every couple days so it has a good soured at this point.

20103590-F1EF-40BD-98C2-9D8D023EBB98.jpeg
Part of issue is the fish is quite thin, suggesting nutritional deficiency and this fish eats constantly and requires ample food source (copepods, rotifiers, Baby brine shrimp)

OP
OP
B

brandomoore1819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Part of issue is the fish is quite thin, suggesting nutritional deficiency and this fish eats constantly and requires ample food source (copepods, rotifiers, Baby brine shrimp)
Must be some sort of internal parasite then because up until today he was all over the place eating all day long. I even dosed another bag of tisbee pod’s yesterday. He’s was definitely eating. This tank is in my office so I can pretty much keep an eye on him all day long.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Must be some sort of internal parasite then because up until today he was all over the place eating all day long. I even dosed another bag of tisbee pod’s yesterday. He’s was definitely eating. This tank is in my office so I can pretty much keep an eye on him all day long.
It could be an aggressive external bacterial infection, sometimes those can flare up overnight.
Jay

OP
OP
B

brandomoore1819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to treat something like that in a reef tank? Mostly zoas but still a reef. Are there any dips will treat it?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best way to treat something like that in a reef tank? Mostly zoas but still a reef. Are there any dips will treat it?
You could try antibiotic dips, at least
mandarins are relatively easy to catch. You’ll need a bucket, a heater and an air stone. You put tank water in the bucket with heat and air and move the fish into it with an antibiotic at double the normal dose. Hold the fish in that for three hours daily, changing the water each day. I like to use Neoplex, but any broad spectrum gram negative antibiotic may work.
Jay

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back