TBS "The Package". Too much rock?

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting my list together for my soon to be delivered Reefer 250.

I'd like to go with live rock and sand from TBS. I like the idea of their package, but the recommendation for a 54 gallon tank, it 108 pounds of rock and 54 pounds of sand. I feel like 2 pounds per gallon would make it very crowded in the tank. Thoughts?

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rule of thumb varies between 1 and 2 lbs per gallon. I have 1 per gallon in both of my tanks and works out great. Especially with tbs rock 1 lb per gallon would be just fine. Now the sand id take all 55 lbs of that if I were you.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'd like to go with live rock and sand from TBS. I like the idea of their package, but the recommendation for a 54 gallon tank, it 108 pounds of rock and 54 pounds of sand. I feel like 2 pounds per gallon would make it very crowded in the tank. Thoughts?
As someone who also has a reefer 250, you could cut back down on the rock by 50% or more even, and you probably wont need more than 40lbs of sand or so - but 54 gives you enough to play with.

Also, TBS is an excellent company and ships some beautiful rock - but there are a ton of posts (myself included) who are seeing large numbers of cirolanid isopods in Florida live rock recently, so be sure to thoroughly QT your new rock before putting directly in the new tank.

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who also has a reefer 250, you could cut back down on the rock by 50% or more even, and you probably wont need more than 40lbs of sand or so - but 54 gives you enough to play with.

Also, TBS is an excellent company and ships some beautiful rock - but there are a ton of posts (myself included) who are seeing large numbers of cirolanid isopods in Florida live rock recently, so be sure to thoroughly QT your new rock before putting directly in the new tank.
Thanks for the comment and tips! Any resource or article you recommend to teach me how to properly inspect the rock and bad hitchhikers to look out for?

Blue Cheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I as well had an isopod,quarantine the rock and be aware to actively search for them

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to the advice posted above, I'll add that using 100% live rock/sand is not necessary. I would order a smaller amount and use other rock and cheaper sand for the remainder. (Other rock being dry or pieces you choose from an LFS, etc). This will allow you to build a nice scape without worrying about having to sacrifice any of the live rock because it doesn't fit or because you need to cement pieces together...

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I started a new 75 in Jan with uncured rock from KPaquatics and tbs. 30 lbs of each. The kp is more porous but has fewer macros and corals. The mix is perfect. I could put more but I wanted some bottom for trachys and the like. The hitchhikers from both are great. Good luck with your new tank.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to Buying 20 lbs or so of their live rock, and the rest dry rock to make the scape you want. You will still get the same benefit, just at a fraction of the cost.
This is TECHNICALLY true, but you're missing the fact that all of that fake rock will still have to age, will still go through the uglies.

I can understand is someone needed 200lb of rock, it may make more sense but for the quantity actually needed for a shallow 54g display, I don't see the benefit.

OP
OP
BetterJake

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is TECHNICALLY true, but you're missing the fact that all of that fake rock will still have to age, will still go through the uglies.

I can understand is someone needed 200lb of rock, it may make more sense but for the quantity actually needed for a shallow 54g display, I don't see the benefit.
Yeah I'm just going to go for all live. 55 pounds of their base rock + 40 lbs of live sand is about $450 before shipping

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I'm just going to go for all live. 55 pounds of their base rock + 40 lbs of live sand is about $450 before shipping
Using mostly base rock is a good plan... Then you won't need to worry about how you place the rock/scape :)

Please post pics of the rock when you get it!

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 220G, I did half TBS rock and half dry rock. Put all of it together in a 75G rubbermaid tub for three month fallow period while I built my stand and quarantined fish. No diatoms or any ugly phase.

If you do this, I suggest you light it just like you would your display tank. This will help any ugly period happen during fallow instead of in your display.

I've done my rock this way since the 90's because it always works!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 25 83.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 10.0%

Back