TDS 1 but drops to 0 over time while in bin?

Madison Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a mystery I cannot explain with RODI (BRS unit).
My source water is less than or around 300 TDS, and the RO membrane (99% rejection rated dow) takes it down to around 6-8 before going into DI resin.
After DI resin it comes down to 1 TDS.
The process ate up DI resin fast compared to source water (TDS ~180) I had before, I did some online search and I heard my city has CO2.
So today I was about to degas, and run it through with new DI resin, but I just found out that TDS dropped to 0 while in bin with closed lid.

I did not oxygenate it, it was in two separate brute bins with closed bin for about a week.
Could you please explain what happened here and if I should run the water (currently TDS reading 0) through new DI resin?

Thanks!

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My source water is less than or around 300 TDS, and the RO membrane (99% rejection rated dow) takes it down to around 6-8 before going into DI resin.
The process ate up DI resin fast compared to source water (TDS ~180) I had before, I did some online search and I heard my city has CO2.
So today I was about to degas, and run it through with new DI resin, but I just found out that TDS dropped to 0 while in bin with closed lid.

I did not oxygenate it, it was in two separate brute bins with closed bin for about a week.
Could you please explain what happened here and if I should run the water (currently TDS reading 0) through new DI resin?

Thanks!

I don't change my filters until I'm more like 3-5 TDS (total disolved solids)

Would expect solids settled to bottom, since no mention of circulation in bin.

My vote = Don't kill yourself chasing just 1 TDS.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't change my filters until I'm more like 3-5 TDS (total disolved solids)

Would expect solids settled to bottom, since no mention of circulation in bin.

My vote = Don't kill yourself chasing just 1 TDS.

Dissolved ions don’t settle from solution.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Typically the other way around.

With mine as it sits it naturally attracts anything possible

Which includes CO2 from the air, which raises tds.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks!

Id ignore it. It might be test error, or some sort of chemical reaction. Nothing bad happens to di water as it sits that would lower tds.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Madison Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0

Julbra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the resolution of your TDS meter? If it’s 1 then a possible explanation is that your water is around 0.5 TDS and you just have some rounding to the nearest TDS happening in the meter. This is more likely as the temperature compensation kicks in, for example if the water has warmed up or cooled down while sitting in the bin.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was my understanding.

Is it possible that since my source water has CO2, suppose gas exchange happened thus lowered TDS from 1 to 0?

Thanks!

Possible, but unlikely. CO2 is removed by a di, and CO2 will increase in di water.

Most likely it is a testing issue and I’d just ignore it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

Madison Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the resolution of your TDS meter? If it’s 1 then a possible explanation is that your water is around 0.5 TDS and you just have some rounding to the nearest TDS happening in the meter. This is more likely as the temperature compensation kicks in, for example if the water has warmed up or cooled down while sitting in the bin.
I am not sure about the resolution, but it does not have decimal point. It only gives me a whole number.
After reading your comment about temperature, it makes much more sense. I took TDS measurement at two different temperature (cold when RODI is produced vs warm when it sat at the basement for a while).
Thank you so much.
Possible, but unlikely. CO2 is removed by a di, and CO2 will increase in di water.

Most likely it is a testing issue and I’d just ignore it.
Thank you for advice. I will just ignore it.

Upvote 0

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 42 27.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.2%
Back