TDS creeping after 4 weeks

Mindblock769

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an Aquamaxx 4-stage kit i got at the LFS. After installing I was reading 0 TDS on the output, now im receiving about 10 TDS. The DI cartridge looks about 30% depleted. Is this normal? I have about 330 TDS going into the 1st stage.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would measure TDS after RO and after DI.
When your RO membrane cannot remove at least, 95% of the TDS, you will use up your expensive resin very, very quickly.

So incoming is 330 (that won’t change) so at least, after RO should be about 16 or better.

OP
OP
M

Mindblock769

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i filled up a 40gal trash can today while i was at work. I tested the water in the trash can and was reading 35ppm TDS. So i switched the TDS meter to the outlet of the RO filter. I am reading 35ppm after the RO, and 40ppm after the DI. So the TDS is actually increasing. What would cause that?
PXL_20210913_185747590.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
35ppm seems a bit extreme from output of the membrane. Was the RO used? Have you calibrated the TDS meter (not sure if that would make a difference here)?

Last edited:

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Brand new just a few weeks hold. Got it from the LFS. Knew I should have just went to BRS.

Forgot to answer, it does have a backflush and doesnt do much for the TDS

For the flush I meant that you can make a bypass so that all of the initial tds spike when turning on the unit doesn't mate it into the DI resin.

I don't think the unit is of bad quality, but I would contact aquamaxx too to see if they can send you a new membrane.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for 40 leaving, that could mean the DI is dumping things back out since it is full (brs has a video explaining why this happens).

Out of curiosity, what is the pressure going into the RO membrane? Are you using hot/warm water from the sink?

OP
OP
M

Mindblock769

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for 40 leaving, that could mean the DI is dumping things back out since it is full (brs has a video explaining why this happens).

Out of curiosity, what is the pressure going into the RO membrane? Are you using hot/warm water from the sink?

There's a pressure gauge on the unit. Not really sure if it's the inlet or outlet, but it's reading 47psi

OP
OP
M

Mindblock769

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed an air gap at the top of the di resin. I removed the cartridge and slammed it down a few times to pack it and was able to push the filter a half inch or so down. I'm reading 29ppm after the DI now. So there's still some sort of issue with the membrane. Is 29ppm safe for partial water change? Or at least for my ATO?

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed an air gap at the top of the di resin. I removed the cartridge and slammed it down a few times to pack it and was able to push the filter a half inch or so down. I'm reading 29ppm after the DI now. So there's still some sort of issue with the membrane. Is 29ppm safe for partial water change? Or at least for my ATO?

I would not not that your resin capacitity is used up it becomes an ion exchange and will release ion with a weaker bond and grab ones with a stronger bond. Ammonia is on of the weaker bond ions.

OP
OP
M

Mindblock769

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not not that your resin capacitity is used up it becomes an ion exchange and will release ion with a weaker bond and grab ones with a stronger bond. Ammonia is on of the weaker bond ions.

Interesting. Well that puts me in a bit of a pickle. My ATO is almost empty. I kinda need to do a water change, and theres a tropical store hitting so lots of businesses are shutting down and amazon cant get me my replacement filters now until Friday.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I don't recall exactly, but if my memory serves me right is was somewhere around there after initial install, but I can't say for sure. What's the lower pressure telling you?
Normally if the pressure drops it means the sediment and/or carbon filter needs to be replaced. I think the min pressure rating is 60psi.

OP
OP
M

Mindblock769

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normally if the pressure drops it means the sediment and/or carbon filter needs to be replaced. I think the min pressure rating is 60psi.
Seems odd that all the filter already taking a **** after only a month. I ordered all new filters and DI resin, but it's going to be awhile.. With a Tropical Storm hitting tonight all the water has been cleaned off the shelves otherwise I would get some distilled water to hold me over. Not sure what to do at the moment.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems odd that all the filter already taking a **** after only a month. I ordered all new filters and DI resin, but it's going to be awhile.. With a Tropical Storm hitting tonight all the water has been cleaned off the shelves otherwise I would get some distilled water to hold me over. Not sure what to do at the moment.

Double check the min water pressure for the membrane to see what it needs to run at. I can't imagine the sediment cartridge being that dirty. You would notice it being very discolored.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back