TDS is higher out of DI resin then the membrane

ReeferBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Than*

The TDS coming out of my RO membrane is 1 while the TDS from my DI resin is 3. Any ideas? My only guess is that some resin is coming out through the effluent somehow. I use BRS color changing DI resin, and it's a little orange, but not fully exhausted by any means.

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Than*

The TDS coming out of my RO membrane is 1 while the TDS from my DI resin is 3. Any ideas? My only guess is that some resin is coming out through the effluent somehow. I use BRS color changing DI resin, and it's a little orange, but not fully exhausted by any means.

My first thought is if the TDS meter is working right. not sure if they malfunction if the batteries were low or anything or if the tip was bent idk. Just curious.

OP
OP
ReeferBee

ReeferBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be low battery, the screen flickers but to get the same reading with the sensors swapped is odd

Tony Elenbaas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would replace the DI resin, I run 2 canisters. You can see the resin change colour and I replace them both before the colour change reaches the top of the last one.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While it might just be poor accuracy in measurement, it isn't impossible for the conductivity to rise in passing through a spent, or partly spent DI resin.

You sure its a mixed bed and not just a cation or anion resin? Using either of those alone will also boost the conductivity as larger ions are replaced by either H+ or OH-, both of which are very conductive.

fity2pounder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any outcome to this? I’m having this happen to me too. I run two cation cartridges, followed by four anion cartridges, followed by one mixed bed cartridge. Only the very first anion cartridge is about half depleted based on color changing. I had the same thought that maybe some of the di resin was coming through if I didn’t pack the cartridge tight enough but wasn’t sure if this wld increase tds or not. Does having too many cartridge cause problems? Do cartridges have to be replaced after a certain time period regardless of being depleted (my actions have been there for many months as my city water basically only needs anion according to color changes over the last year or two). Any other ideas or recommendations? Thanks!!

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Packing the cartridge tightly" is an issue primarily for up flow mixed bed cartridges. You pack them tightly because you don't want the anion beads to separate from the cation beads - you want then to stay mixed.

Last edited:

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 28.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back