TDS Report from Water District

  • Thread starter Thread starter jhatfield
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

jhatfield

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 28, 2016
Messages
227
Reaction score
123
Location
Santa Barbara, CA
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a handheld TDS meter at the moment so I was looking over the report from the water district which says that "Secondary MCL" TDS is 1000, Surface Water Average is 700. Any idea which of those represents the water out of the tap?

FYI, The TDS out of the RO runs around 15 and 0 from the DI. I'm assuming with high TDS the life of the RO membrane and the DI is shortened.
 
Temporarily disconnect the OUT inline TDS meter tee with the probe still in it. Cut a couple inch long piece of 1/4" tubing, stick it in the out side of the OUT probe, disconnect your tap water line at the sediment filter, slip the TDS meter in and run the system to get a tap TDS. Once you are done move it back to the RO/DI side.
 
I don't have a handheld TDS meter at the moment so I was looking over the report from the water district which says that "Secondary MCL" TDS is 1000, Surface Water Average is 700. Any idea which of those represents the water out of the tap?

FYI, The TDS out of the RO runs around 15 and 0 from the DI. I'm assuming with high TDS the life of the RO membrane and the DI is shortened.

The MCl stands for the maximum allowable limit for the item. So that 1000 ppm TDS is the limit, not a measurement. The 700 ppm sounds like an average measurement in your area.
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 15 20.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 21 28.4%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.4%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 9 12.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 8.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new