0   0   0
1637546046451.png

1637546057452.png
1637546066326.png

1637546074674.png
1637546089326.png

1637546100198.png

Hello,

I would like to thank everyone who replied to my previous post.

[Sum of my last post: The previous house owner left 500 (Not 5k! sorry there was a typo in my previous post) gallon fish tank and I am trying to decide what to do with the tank as we were quoted 600 dollars a month for the biweekly maintenance visit by the person who has been managing the tank for the previous owner.]

Based on the replies I received, it seems like these are some of the options I have

1. Learn how to maintain it myself. I have to admit I have 0 knowledge of fish or tank and I am a working mom of 2 small kids. I am worried that I will do a poor job if this requires a lot of time and effort.
2. Look for another fish shop that offers a lower rate - What range would be considered reasonable?
3. Donate it to the marine society or give it to the fish shop- I have to figure out the logistics of donating the fish. I am not sure how to transport the fish and what to do with the pumps and 500 gallons of water after donating the fish.
4. Sell the fish and pump together - This will help us financially and sounds appealing but I am not don't know the worth of the system and fish. Also have to figure out how to drain 500 gallons of water.

I am hoping to get some help in figuring this out. I am trying to have this sorted asap so that fish won't suffer. I am worried that I am not doing enough for the fish right now. I am only feeding them 3 cubes of shrimp every other day. but have not been able to check the quality or temp of the water.

Also would it be ok to fumigate the house with the fish in it? Wonder if they are sensitive to the fume from the gas. If they are, I will have to send them away before 12/1/

I feel pretty overwhelmed by this new responsibility and would love to receive any advice/suggestions.

1637547803049.png

1637546306515.png

1637546321884.png

1637546336131.png

1637546356600.png

1637546370421.png

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you want what’s best for your fish. Taking good care of them is a lot of work and requires lots of knowledge.

Don’t fumigate the house! Don’t get any chemicals near the aquarium! This will kill them.

Advertise your fish locally, on this site, Craigslist, or Facebook.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Short term to maintain it add fresh water to make up cor evaporation and if you can do 20 - 40 gallon water changes with new saltwater every 2-4 weeks that will give you some time to get a good price if you want to sell it. Guessing from your pictures $1500 would be a good palce to start if you want to get rid of it fast and then drop the price if you don't get responses right away. To get top dollor if you could get someone to identify the brand names of the equipment and post a complete list of equipment and fish, advertise a complete mature system up and running and are patient you might be able to get $5000 or more. FWIW I'd guess a reasonable price range for your fish would be $700 - $800. I'd expect who ever takes it should be able to deal with the logistics of removing everything.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oooooops! just saw th line about fumigating it. Ideally the fish would be would be gone but if worst case scenario they're still there when your house is fumigated covering the tank and running an air line from a large air pump located a safe area outside to hte tank and bubbling clean air into the tank would be needed to try to keep them alive.

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your one question about you dont know temp of your tank.this is temp of your tank providing its reading correctly and probe in water or however it reads and 78 about what most run their tanks at.
To keep essentials running would be salinity,temp,replenish fresh water ( preferably rodi water ) as water evaporates but salt stays in tank so only want add fresh water ( never just tap water out of tap though,needs a decloranator first added.some top up using a ato unit or some just add water every day or every however many days etc lights if corals usually 8- 10 hours a day but some have less and some have more,flow in tank from powerheads and empty skimmer cup .
I dont envy you buying a house and been left with responsibility of a reef tank,but maybe look online for basics of setting up a saltwater aquarium to get basic understanding of running it until you decide what to do with it.
To check salinity maybe old owner left a refractometer ?
Anyway only thought I tell you what that reading means of the temp and decided say few other words but wish you best if luck ^_^

Screenshot_20211122-025840_Chrome.jpg

Edit: I see the temp reading is same make as your chiller and never had a chiller with being in the UK so unsure if that's your tank temp or what chiller is set to.but you can buy a cheap thermoter for couple pounds or dollars and stick it to inside of tank glass

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only imagine being a regular person and walking into all this equipment all at once! That must be so overwhelming for you! Good luck! :)

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want to donate the tank to the LFS, just call them and speak with them. They will be more than glad to take them. Some will offer store credit but usually not cash.

Get some 5 gallon clean buckets and fill it half way with the aquarium water. Put one to two fish in the bucket. Cover the top so they won’t jump out but don’t seal it so they won’t suffocate. Take it immediately to the fish store.

You have a big tank but I’ll be honest to say the tank and the support equipment is pretty old school. You may be about to get some money for the sump (the big tank under the cabinet) the return pump (the big yellow pump) and the protein skimmer (the thing that makes bubbles and collects gunk at the top). Also some for the tank itself. But I don’t imagine people will buy them for much. It doesn’t hurt to try though.

To empty the tank get a long hose (they also have clear hoses at the fish store), put one end into the tank and the other end whatever you want to drain the water (sink or outside). The suck at one and until you have flow and then just watch it drain. They also sell hoses with suction bulbs if you don’t want to put your mouth on the hose.

You should feed them daily. That’s not enough food for that man fish.

My suggestion is get them to someone who knows how to take care of them ASAP. If you want to learn about saltwater then you can learn at your leisure and not risk the health of these fish. The previous owner was very irresponsible in just leaving them behind.

Feel free to ask any question you have.

TastesLikeChicken

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are also a bunch of marine aquarium society websites in SoCal. Maybe post on there and either give them out for free or ask for a reasonable donation. Then they can come and collect them. They will go very fast!

You have a:

1. Blue tang (Dori, looks healthy)
2. Yellow tang (big yellow guy, looks undernourished and pale)
3. Valentinie puffer (the pockodut off shaped guy, looks healthy)
4. Niger trigger (The all dark blue guy with protruding underjaw, looks healthy)
5. Pair of clown fish (Nemo, they are probably bonded which means you should keep them together, they look healthy)
6. Coral beauty angel fish (the little guy with the stripes and multiple colors, looks healthy)

The only one I don’t know is the one in the top picture. I think it’s a type of wrasse.

Please don’t fumigate. The fish will die.

HeyLookItsCaps

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first reply is that it is a very rewarding and satisfying hobby that I believe almost anyone can fall in love with. You’ve gone far enough to find this forum and are asking great questions. It can seem overwhelming but you’re actually ahead of the game because the Tank is “established”. Think of it like an item that all the bugs/glitches/problems have been worked out. Depending on the age of the tank and its inhabitants it may be at the stage of what we refer to as “auto pilot”. If you really want to keep them and learn, you’ve found the best place to do so, and you will skip a lot of trial and error just because it’s already set.

with that being said,

if you price the equipment/animals at a bargain/“can’t say no” type price, I am positive there is someone near you like myself that would come take it all from your house, and be happy doing so. I like to clean/repair/replace parts on equipment as a hobby. I can’t call it a side business because I typically don’t make money, just enjoy the challenge and sometimes break even. I know you’ll be talking 30 cents on the dollar for if it were for sale retail, but I’m exchange it’ll be out of your hair, someone that has the passion will get the items, you’ll get some bucks in your pocket without lifting a finger.

And please PLEASE no fumigation or windex on the glass or anything.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.4%
Back