Tearing down, straggler inverts exposed to copper

BasementBox

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Joined
May 5, 2023
Messages
9,323
Reaction score
12,794
Location
new jersey
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i'm in the process of tearing down my 125 and resetting it; however, there are a few inverts that I have in the tank. I had already dosed copper, and for a short period had it to a theraputic dose - that said a chunk of inverts survived. Knowing that copper is a poison to these guys, its assumed that they absorbed the copper. Would you guys recommend just getting rid of the inverts that survived the copper dose as it was absorbed by them and on death they may release the copper back into the newly restarted tank, or would one assume that its safe for the inverts to go in as they probably processed whatever they absorbed and are fine to go anywhere.

Thinking Patrick GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
 
This is a way interesting question; following to see the replies here 🙂
 
This is a way interesting question; following to see the replies here 🙂
Agreed - since im no invert pro… it is a riddle. My suspicion is some inverts absorb the copper and may have survived - however the copper moved to their bodies I.e. if it’s a snail that grows with its shell it’s moved to its shell. If a starfish it’s absorbed but locked into its body until death. Much as we would with forever chemicals. It raises the question does this happen and does it pose a risk to the new tank they’d be put in or did I just have a mini genocide by missing a few.
 
I would have to give them a pass for surviving copper lol.
My first thought too! But, if they have calcium based exoskeletons, could that potentially interact with the copper medication, the same way rock or sand would? Otherwise, I agree - they lived, rock on!
 
.
 
My first thought too! But, if they have calcium based exoskeletons, could that potentially interact with the copper medication, the same way rock or sand would? Otherwise, I agree - they lived, rock on!
I'm reckless and have to wonder how much copper could they actually absorb and release? No way to know but like I said I'm reckless lol. All the rock in the 180 in my showcase was treated with copper. I did run it through cuprisorb afterwards.
Maybe the OP run some cuprisorb and give the critters amnesty?
 
I'm reckless and have to wonder how much copper could they actually absorb and release? No way to know but like I said I'm reckless lol. All the rock in the 180 in my showcase was treated with copper. I did run it through cuprisorb afterwards.
Maybe the OP run some cuprisorb and give the critters amnesty?
Again, your reply was exactly my first thought, and then I started to overthink it lol! But if they absorbed a lethal quantity of copper that they are now re-releasing back into the tank, wouldn't these critters be dead? I kind of think you're right and I'm over thinking this - if the darn things lived through the copper and are still alive, I feel like they must be safe around other inverts too, right??
 
Again, your reply was exactly my first thought, and then I started to overthink it lol! But if they absorbed a lethal quantity of copper that they are now re-releasing back into the tank, wouldn't these critters be dead? I kind of think you're right and I'm over thinking this - if the darn things lived through the copper and are still alive, I feel like they must be safe around other inverts too, right??
Well. Maybe. Maybe not. There’s not enough of them left that I’d imagine can do THAT much damage. Few nassarius baby trochus few turbos and a pistol shrimp. With them it’s PROBABLY minute, compared to the rocks I’m tossing.
 
Well. Maybe. Maybe not. There’s not enough of them left that I’d imagine can do THAT much damage. Few nassarius baby trochus few turbos and a pistol shrimp. With them it’s PROBABLY minute, compared to the rocks I’m tossing.
I was serious about the rock in this tank having been run through copper and removed with cuprisorb. I don't know how much rock you have but it may be something to think about.

image.jpg
 
I was serious about the rock in this tank having been run through copper and removed with cuprisorb. I don't know how much rock you have but it may be something to think about.

image.jpg
Appreciate it but I bought all the new rock I needed and sand. Starting it from scratch. It was infested with vermtid snails aptasia was starting up. Long story but the rocks were exposed to a yea of 170 tds phosphates. It was better to just get a clean start.
 
I had a few baseball size pieces of live rock that were put in my QT tank and exposed to copper.

After QT was done I let the pieces air dry since I didn’t want to return them to the DT. After a month or so of sitting out, I threw them back in the DT. No issues with corals or inverts dying.

I think your inverts will be fine and won’t cause a problem. I can’t imagine they absorbed much.
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new