tehSAC's Euphyllia Dominated NUVO 10

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I'm Paul, and within this thread I'm going to share photos of the progress of my tank. Just cause I'm so obsessed with this tank, and I’d love to share with other that haven’t seen my build thread.

For my build thread please go here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/tehsacs-nuvo-10.281525/

I will continue to update my build thread and trouble shoot within there. I also update my instagram daily and that's found at @tehSAC_reef

Anyway onto said photos.

FTS 2-22-18

FTS 2-26-17

2-26-16_1_zpsyxeywbsb.jpg

Right Side

2-26-16_Right_zps9xzg7434.jpg

Left Side

2-26-16_Left_zpsorjgduzv.jpg

Current Equipment List:

IM NUVO Fusion 10
Kessil A80 with Gooseneck
Spinstream Nozzle
InTank Media Basket
Eheim 50 Watt Heater
Sicce .5 return Pump
Tunze Nano ATO

Filtration:

10 lbs Fiji Pink Sand
8-9 lbs Reef Saver Rock from BRS
Filter floss
Chemi-Pure Blue

Livestock:

2 Ocellaris Clown
1 Tailspot Blenny
1 Yasha Goby
1 Cerith Snails
1 Astrea Snails
2 Trochus Snails
2 Nassarius Snails
2 Red Legged Hermit
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Candy Cane Pistol Shrimp

Current Corals:

Green Mouth Torch Coral
Purple Torch Coral
Aussie Gold Torch Coral
Purple Tip Hammer
Neon Green Tip Hammer
Blue Hammer
Green Frogspawn
Red Acan Lord
Watermelon Zoa
Blueberry Pie Zoa
Bam Bam Zoa
Sunny D Paly
Rasta Zoa
Unknown Yellow Zoa's
Unknown Orange Zoa's
Unknown Paly's
Pink Zipper Paly's
Cornbred Rainbow Infusion Paly
Blue/Green Ricordea Mushroom
Orange Ricordea Mushroom
Candy Cane Coral Colony
Duncan Coral
Mint Green Pavona
Meteor Shower Cyphastrea
Neon Pink Blasto

nautical_nathaniel

Indecision may or may not be my problem.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome looking tank! Great work! :)

jjsmith70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great. Can you say what percentage strength and color you run your Kessil A80 at?

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank looks great. Can you say what percentage strength and color you run your Kessil A80 at?

Thanks! I would say I run color around 35-40% or around 10:00 - 11:00 on the dial. As far as intensity, I’m at 100%

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a Mint Green Pavona and Red Monti Cap back in Feb, and noticed recently that the Pavona wasn't looking so hot. Actually starting to brown in one area. The red monti was showing growth and good color, but it was an impulse purchase that I regretted. If and when it started to get bigger it would eventually run out of room. So a local reefer and I met up yesterday, and swapped some frags. I knew the monti and pavona would do good in his system, and he had a couple colorful items he thought would do well in mine. I picked up a small purple mushroom and a gorgonian from him. The gorgonian he has had since 1993 and frag's it twice a year. So I know its an established gorg, and I have always enjoyed them.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New photos!

I really need to learn how to use my DSLR and start shooting with that. This iphone just cant capture the colors.

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a small box of Reef Crystals last week and planning on seeing what, if any effects it has on my tank over the next month of water changes. Currently use IO salt in my tank. If it has a positive effect on my tank I'm most likely going to make the switch to reef crystals. I've noticed a small dip in CA, MG, and Alk over a week period, and hoping to correct this with salt. I'm still trying to stay away from dosing if at all possible. Below I have posted my latest results over a week period, testing with salifert test kits. My belief is that all of my euphyllia are the culprits to the depletion of elements over that week period. My tank doesn't have much coraline, so corals are my next point of focus when trying to pinpoint this small issue. I have noticed some stalling of grown in some of my hammers, and a couple just look like they are hanging on. One hammer for instance just doesn't inflate as much as it once did in the same spot it is now. Could be something else, but I'm not going to throw everything at it at once, because that may just cause more issues. If I loose a coral or two, so be it. My acan's also just look blah (see photo below), and I'm not sure what the heck is going on with it. I removed it from the plug a couple weeks back and it just never looked the same. :/ Everything else is happy as a clam, the trumpets seem to sprout a new head weekly, same with my zoa's. I have to admit, as I get further into this hobby, the desire to remove some corals, and focus on others have crossed my mind multiple times. Is that crazy to think/say?

I contacted the other salt mix suppliers in the business and no one had a small box/sample to try out, so that's why I'm going the RC route. In my opinion I'd love to see these brands offer something up to consumers to allow them to purchase and sample their product to see if it works with their system. To me its not cost effective to purchase a large supply of salt to try it out. If it has negative effects on my tank I'm stuck with said salt mix.

Did my first waterchange with Reef Crystals Friday evening, I will update as soon as I find something out.

3-23-18

Temp 79.6
Salinity 1.026
PH 8.0
CA 450
Ak 8.6
Mg 1470

3-30-18

Temp 79.8
Salinity 1.026
PH 8.0
Calcium 420
Alk 8.3
MG 1380

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that my corals have seemed happier/fluffier since using reef crystals two weeks ago. I've also noticed my alk and ca levels are not dropping like they were with the regular IO salt. Other than that, nothing has changed. The tank is on autopilot, and thriving.

1.jpg

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So its been a little while since I've updated this thread. Life has been very busy.

Subtle changes have been made to my little nano over the past few months. The biggest was removing the GSP from the back wall. It just wasn't something I felt I liked anymore. I lost my gold torch to Brown Jelly a couple months ago. That was a major bummer, but euphyllia can be tricky little corals to keep. My orange ricordea have split twice, and my purple rhodactis mushroom has grown 3 times its size since I got it

When I attended my first swap back in March of 17 I purchased a frag of acans, and they did well for a while. You can look back within this thread to see photos of it at its glory. However they started to fade away for no reason. I moved the frag to a low flow/low light area of the tank and just let it be. If I lost it, that would suck, but if it bounced back great. Well over a few months all but one polyp faded away. I continued to feed the remaining polyp a mixture of coral food, and last night during my water change I rotated the plug around and found two new baby heads. So hopefully this acan is bouncing back and will be full and happy once again. Sometimes patience and persistence pays off.

I have a bit of coral warfare going on with my hammers and trumpets, but I knew that would happen in time. As for now I'm leaving things as they stand.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

OP
OP
tehSAC

tehSAC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up a couple new frags on friday from my LFS. Actually went in for an orange hammer but it was pretty meh, which was a bummer, as I've been looking for one for awhile now. Oh well picked up some stunners in my opinion at an awesome deal as well.

Got a nice 20+ head frag of Fruit Loop zoas, and a neon yellow Ricordea. Overall the tank is still doing great and I think the new additions really bring a good pop of color to it overall.

---------

Back