Tell me about millepora

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS says that within the SPS species of corals acropora are considered moderate to difficult level, millepora is considered difficult to very difficult and tennius is considered the hardest SPS to keep.

I just got my first millepora to try after about 8 months of success with my other acros so far. So what makes milles more difficult? What are some good points for a novice to consider? I'm pretty acquainted with the obvious concerns to focus on for SPS care but is there anything over and above for millies that I should be aware of?

VegasReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an SPS expert, but in my experience it has more to do with how long its been in captivity. Especially if we are talking wild/mariculture vs many generations of aquaculture tank raised frags. I have a purple milli that thinks its as hardy as pocillopora

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good random flow, don't hit them with a constant direct blast/stream. Keep phosphate and nitrate from bottoming out. Plenty of light. No major swings in parameters is good too.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not an SPS expert, but in my experience it has more to do with how long its been in captivity. Especially if we are talking wild/mariculture vs many generations of aquaculture tank raised frags. I have a purple milli that thinks its as hardy as pocillopora
Good point and that is applicable to all corals really.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn’t consider it difficult, but that’s just me. Compared to a montipora, sure.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it's been the same level as other SPS like monti digi or stylos?
I meant compared to montiporas, it might be considered difficult. Now, for me, my palmers blue millepora has been rock solid. It’s a very very hardy coral imo. I can’t say milleporas as a whole are, but no matter how much I abuse this thing, it just will not die. I’ve lost many corals, but my palmers blue just keeps chugging along.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, no matter how great everything is in the tank...sometimes they just die to no fault of your own.

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS says that within the SPS species of corals acropora are considered moderate to difficult level, millepora is considered difficult to very difficult and tennius is considered the hardest SPS to keep.

I just got my first millepora to try after about 8 months of success with my other acros so far. So what makes milles more difficult? What are some good points for a novice to consider? I'm pretty acquainted with the obvious concerns to focus on for SPS care but is there anything over and above for millies that I should be aware of?
Your LFS needs more education if that's how they explained it. Millepora and Tenuis are species of Acropora which is the Genus. Neither of those particular species is necessarily more demanding than other species of Acropora. I find both of them to be fairly hearty and fast growers.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant compared to montiporas, it might be considered difficult. Now, for me, my palmers blue millepora has been rock solid. It’s a very very hardy coral imo. I can’t say milleporas as a whole are, but no matter how much I abuse this thing, it just will not die. I’ve lost many corals, but my palmers blue just keeps chugging along.
I got a blue Mille ill have to see what the name is but it's been at the LFS quite awhile with nice encrusted base. The only other Mille I ordered online did not survive shipping.

Tonycass12

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Disagree, I have 2 maricultured colonies and they are two of the least fussy corals I have.
20220713_163810.jpg

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your LFS needs more education if that's how they explained it. Millepora and Tenuis are species of Acropora which is the Genus. Neither of those particular species is necessarily more demanding than other species of Acropora. I find both of them to be fairly hearty and fast growers.
I would agree with this 100%

The couple milli's I have are no more fussy then any of the acro's I have. If anything I find the milli's to be less fussy, and faster growers.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience a mili is a easier acro to grow out lol.. I’ve never had really any issues with them till I got aefw and they went to town on them.. it seems to be their favorite to eat! Ugh! Lol.. this was years ago thou! I just got a tank after 12 years and only got 1 for right now a frag but it’s doing great as expected! It’s a asd rainbow that I got and was brown but already starting to color up nicely… just need it to take off and I’ll be happy!

Back