Tell me I don't need another wavemaker

SteveG_inDC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are so many different ways to determine if you have "enough" flow. BRStv guys say blast your tank until the corals can't take it any more, but sorry, I can't just keep adding $300 powerheads just to see if it helps.

For me, I thought maybe I'm not done adding flow, but then I kept monkeying around with pump placement and wavemaker settings until I created a nice gyre. I keep pumps on for feeding and noticed the food goes flying to literally every part of the tank and doesn't settle on the rocks or sand for like 5 minutes, probably longer (the fish eat it all up by then). This is true even with pellets. Isn't that a good sign? Can you guys convince me I don't have to get more pumps? I don't want a lot of cords and crap.

Tank is 6' x 30" x 25" with deep sand, rated 240g
I have a Tunze 6255 variable speed rated for up to 4800 GPH and my returns are dual Mag 12s with minimal head pressure, so about 1000 gph each.
Planning for mixed reef including SPS. Tank shot below to illustrate the aquascape that the pumps are blowing through (the diatoms have cleared up since I took that pic).

Plan is to start placing corals soon, starting in the highest flow areas, but everything seems to get hit.

Thanks for any advice.

1610668172830.png

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.9%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 71 42.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back