Tell me this is not what i think it is......if it is any suggestions....

quik95lt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the past couple of weeks I had some brown algae growing, I figured it was just that brown algae, has happened to my other saltwater tank I have and it was just a phase, came and went just like the diatoms and cyano.......however this stuff has little bubbles on the end......tell me this isn't Dino's.....if it is any suggestions here? I hear all different approaches, do water changes, don't do them, keep nitrates up, keep them low........a little bit of help would be good.......The tank is a 90 Gallon, has a 26 gallon trigger systems sump, Bubble Magus Skimmer, with an apex so I'm always watching my parameters I check nitrates bi weekly....

Thanks!

20180112_080941.jpg

20180112_081010.jpg

20180112_081000.jpg

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the past couple of weeks I had some brown algae growing, I figured it was just that brown algae, has happened to my other saltwater tank I have and it was just a phase, came and went just like the diatoms and cyano.......however this stuff has little bubbles on the end......tell me this isn't Dino's.....if it is any suggestions here? I hear all different approaches, do water changes, don't do them, keep nitrates up, keep them low........a little bit of help would be good.......The tank is a 90 Gallon, has a 26 gallon trigger systems sump, Bubble Magus Skimmer, with an apex so I'm always watching my parameters I check nitrates bi weekly....

Thanks!

20180112_080941.jpg

20180112_081010.jpg

20180112_081000.jpg
I see a sand bed that doesn't get stirred enough.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what could be Dino’s up high , and cyano in the sand.

Are you carbon dosing , vibrant , or vitamin c or Aminos or “coral food”?

I’d start by looking at those foods, General daily blowing the stuff off , and adding good bacterias. Dr Tim’s , bio spira. Etc.
and perhaps look at your source water.

OP
OP
quik95lt1

quik95lt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see what could be Dino’s up high , and cyano in the sand.

Are you carbon dosing , vibrant , or vitamin c or Aminos or “coral food”?

I’d start by looking at those foods, General daily blowing the stuff off , and adding good bacterias. Dr Tim’s , bio spira. Etc.
and perhaps look at your source water.

that's good that its not all dino's, I thought the sand looked like cyano that I've seen before.....I'm not dosing any carbon vibrant or vitamin however once a week I dose "fuel" for the corals.......I've been busy the past few weeks but now I'm cleared up so I'm going to start chasing the stuff manually and staying on top of cleaning the rocks and sand.......I was reading no water changes so I was going to syphon through a filter sock in the sump to re use the water

my source water I'm making myself the TDS read 0-2 and I'm using IO Reef Crystals for salt....

also would a UV help my situation at all, that was another thing I read that could help eradicate this beast....

thanks for the replies

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the snot looking stuff goes away a little at night, then the dinos are going into the water column. In which case a UV would help. Be sure to read product descriptions and manufacturers recommendations for sizing and flow rates. Nitrate and phosphate control will help keep them from coming back and having to run UV all the time from what I hear.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yikes! Not fun, but many of us have been there. How is your flow in the tank?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 24.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 11 7.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back