Tell your kids to be exotic vets!

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only $80k and a $275k loan debt? How could you possibly pay off that debt?
Ramen noodles buy a used yugo.
7D0A21B8-CDE6-4CC6-91DF-04582B8C2474.jpeg
Only pets you yourself can own are sea monkeys and a chia pet.
Rent someones basement to live in. Ignore that, that someone weekends as a heavy metal cover band drummer. And practices after he gets home from his day job as an accountant. Easy peasy lol

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My daughter is convinced she is going go be a dog-breeder-and veterinarian who owns a pastry-shop....... oh boy

33133CE9-5A97-4512-8CEB-4AC098562F4F.jpeg
We had someone who was a dog breeder of some large white dog. Bring in bags upon upon bags of fur they brushed off them to the textile lab. They wanted us to turn the hairs into a yarn, so they could make sweaters of their dogs for them to wear.

Wet dog smell, never leaves. Washed, put in a spinner, they still smelled.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depending on state income taxes, I guess it’s possible without too much sacrifice. It’ll take awhile though.

Greatdane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been thinking about a LFS job for a while and I’m only 13 so still a while before I can make it happen

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been thinking about a LFS job for a while and I’m only 13 so still a while before I can make it happen

Can you volunteer? You’ll get valuable experience for your hobby and for work. You could probably make it count for your graduation one day as well.

reefvet2021

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only $80k and a $275k loan debt? How could you possibly pay off that debt?

As they tell us in school.. marry rich.... LOL

If you own a practice you can make substantially more but with the increasing amount of corporate companies this is becoming harder as well. The government has some payment plans where you pay based on what you make and the rest is forgiven after 20 years of payment. However, this forgiven amount is taxed and don't forget about the interest. Paying off just the interest that accumulates doesn't help either. It's kinda a trap. I'll finish school with about 100k. It's alot but not as much as some of my friends who are over the 200k. I'm hoping to do research and try and get some government research funding to pay some of it off.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As they tell us in school.. marry rich.... LOL

If you own a practice you can make substantially more but with the increasing amount of corporate companies this is becoming harder as well. The government has some payment plans where you pay based on what you make and the rest is forgiven after 20 years of payment. However, this forgiven amount is taxed and don't forget about the interest. Paying off just the interest that accumulates doesn't help either. It's kinda a trap. I'll finish school with about 100k. It's alot but not as much as some of my friends who are over the 200k. I'm hoping to do research and try and get some government research funding to pay some of it off.

Unfortunately, $80k is a lot to the student loan peeps. They’ll require your minimum payments to be pretty steep. At least you can deduct off up to $2500 of interest each year (for 2020 anyways).

Funny how the government decides what’s a lot and what isn’t. I’m considered upper class in my state despite a clearly middle class lifestyle.

Terri Caton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The training is pretty similar. Human doctors often have to do internships and residencies (and also a fellowship that vets don't often do).. however they make 10x more and can pay off their debt much much faster. Most people think vets make a lot of money but that isn't the case. Depends on where you're at in the country, if you own a clinic, etc. The median is 80k... which is a healthy amount BUT you have to think about the debt too. Our debt to income ratio isn't healthy. While vets are specializing (doing the internships, residencies) you're getting paid 20-30k. That's barely enought to live on especially when a lot of these residencies are in higher cost of living areas (New York, California, etc). During that time interest grows and grows... it grows while were even in school. So even though you graduated 200k in debt... by the end of your post-vet school training you may be in 275k+. Veterinary school is the same cost as human medical school. I am seeing schools costing 100k PER YEAR. That's tuition, housing, etc. But human doctors make 10x the salary. Vets aren't in the profession to make money. If that were the case, we would have chosen a different career path. Were in it because it's what we love to do. For this reason it's why we even have exotic vets. I hear a lot of people saying vets are only in it for the money and it makes it hard. I don't think people realize the debt we are in once we are out of school. Vets are one of the highest suicide professions. I thankfully went to my in state school and have parental help where I will be in debt less than the average student.

Lol. 10 x the $$ is for sure exaggerated :) But $80k is certainly not much at all for all the schooling. In medicine we are paid a low amount for internship, residency and fellowships as well. That's why even in human medicine more of us specialize than do primary care. The pay doesn't make up for all the schooling. Plus by then you usually have kids, etc.

It's very unfortunate that any of these schools cost what they do. I got out of everything with about $125k of cost but that was 30 years ago too.

Thanks for doing what you do for the animals that can't speak for themselves!

Greatdane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you volunteer? You’ll get valuable experience for your hobby and for work. You could probably make it count for your graduation one day as well.
I don’t think I will be able to do it mainly because of the schedule school and stuff

Jeeperz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering most doctors make a bare minimum of 250k fresh out of school and vets taking home maybe 80k, for similar debts. That's a huge difference. You don't see new vets with massive houses and fancy cars, new doctors you do. ( I know someone who underwrites and processes insurance and investments for doctors all over the country) I've personally known a few vets, they did not live a fancy life.

It doesn't help that big corporate vets are buying up private practice, then it's no longer about helping the pets but the almighty $$$. I paid $9k to a vca for emergency blockage surgery for my girlfriend's cat, she just rescued from a local shelter 3 months prior. Cat already had the P.U. surgery so they just had to remove other stones. Special food keeps him healthy, now.

flsalty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We had someone who was a dog breeder of some large white dog. Bring in bags upon upon bags of fur they brushed off them to the textile lab. They wanted us to turn the hairs into a yarn, so they could make sweaters of their dogs for them to wear.

Wet dog smell, never leaves. Washed, put in a spinner, they still smelled.
That might be the creepiest thing I ever heard.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 55 77.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.6%
Back