temp swing

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the tempature here in atlanta dropped so we havent been using the ac any longer over the summer the temp on my tank was 77-77.8 around there well today i checked my temp and it dropped to 75 i use two 200w heaters to heat 175g 150g tank and 25g sump the temp on each heater i just checked i had set to 78 so i cranked them both up to 80 is this enough heat to maintain this water volume or should i consider other options?

Bramzor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit odd that 2x200W isn’t enough. Are they on and on a controller or do they use a cheap as internal thermostat. Because they can just be off in that case. You could add a 3rd one but I think something else is going wrong.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bit odd that 2x200W isn’t enough. Are they on and on a controller or do they use a cheap as internal thermostat. Because they can just be off in that case. You could add a 3rd one but I think something else is going wrong.
they have an outside controller im using two of the model below

heater

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What temp do you keep your house at?
Mine is kept at 77 in the summer as it gets over 100 all summer.
Right now going into winter I keep the house at 68.
I have a 120 with 40 breeder.
I do not run the heater in the summer.
I run an eheim 150 watt and it keeps the temp very stable.
Tank runs 78-80 year round.
I like the eheim heaters as you can calibrate them
I

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What heaters are you using, the type of heater you are using didn’t come up in your post, you said that you are using a external controller to control heaters, does that mean you have the stat on the heaters and an external controller, or just a external controller. I also live in Atlanta and recently changed my heaters to a 200w and a 300w finnex titanium heaters and now I am having to adjust the stats on the controller to not fight with my Apex, which I use to control the outlets for the heaters.

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same heater in my nano that I just converted to fresh water.
It ran 3° lower than actual when it was a reef tank for 2 years. Now it is 6° off since converting to fresh.
Mine was the digital version
Interesting, I wonder if salinity affects the temp probe on the heater, you may just have to find a new sweet spot for the temp.

I have noticed that the temp on the finnex titanium heater reacts far quicker than my apex temp probe.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What heaters are you using, the type of heater you are using didn’t come up in your post, you said that you are using a external controller to control heaters, does that mean you have the stat on the heaters and an external controller, or just a external controller. I also live in Atlanta and recently changed my heaters to a 200w and a 300w finnex titanium heaters and now I am having to adjust the stats on the controller to not fight with my Apex, which I use to control the outlets for the heaters.
the heater im using is below and i misspoke the heater has an external controller i dont use an external controller

finnex HMA 200W Electronic Heater w/ Guard

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same heater in my nano that I just converted to fresh water.
It ran 3° lower than actual when it was a reef tank for 2 years. Now it is 6° off since converting to fresh.
Mine was the digital version
ah yea thats what the reviews says it runs 3-6 degrees off i will just have to play around with it til i get the correct temp i have it set for 80 now i guess i will bump it up to 82

Billldg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the heater im using is below and i misspoke the heater has an external controller i dont use an external controller

finnex HMA 200W Electronic Heater w/ Guard
Ok, the t-stats on most, if not all heaters are notoriously inaccurate which is why many of us use an external controller to control the outlets. Whether it’s a aquarium controller or a simple secondary controller to control the outlets doesn’t matter. BRS has a nice controller now, or you can buy them on amazon. Plus, most of us use an external controller to keep from a cheap stuck t-stat nuking then tank.

OP
OP
Qasimja

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, the t-stats on most, if not all heaters are notoriously inaccurate which is why many of us use an external controller to control the outlets. Whether it’s a aquarium controller or a simple secondary controller to control the outlets doesn’t matter. BRS has a nice controller now, or you can buy them on amazon. Plus, most of us use an external controller to keep from a cheap stuck t-stat nuking then tank.
that makes sense this just gives me an excuse to buy more stuff for my tank lol ill go look on brs now thanks for all the help

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ah yea thats what the reviews says it runs 3-6 degrees off i will just have to play around with it til i get the correct temp i have it set for 80 now i guess i will bump it up to 82
Mine needed to be set at 75 to have tank temp of 78.
Fresh water tank set at 72 to get 78.
So mine was reading much higher that set temp.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 37 52.1%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 15 21.1%
  • None.

Votes: 18 25.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 8.5%
Back