Temperature control

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, don't know how to control the temperature in my AIO tank. I have no heater switched on, just the skimmer for 12 hours a day, the filter 24/07, and the LED lighting for 7 hours a day. It's currently at 30.7°C (87°F).
I'm in the UK so the outside temperature hasn't reached anything like that, no direct sunlight but temperature doesn't vary much.
Have I got a dodgy thermometer or is it something more serious?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone, don't know how to control the temperature in my AIO tank. I have no heater switched on, just the skimmer for 12 hours a day, the filter 24/07, and the LED lighting for 7 hours a day. It's currently at 30.7°C (87°F).
I'm in the UK so the outside temperature hasn't reached anything like that, no direct sunlight but temperature doesn't vary much.
Have I got a dodgy thermometer or is it something more serious?
Run a clip on fan across top
You can fill small zip lock bags with water and freeze them
Then take one out and place in sump area until it melts. Once melted, remove and place another frozen one in there and placed thawed bag back in freezer

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, let's have some pics of your build. :)

I have two RSM250s, and they're known for their latent overheating problems. I discovered that older equipment was leaking excess heat into one of my systems, so I ended up replacing them.

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a heater switched on and haven't for months. It seems the only heat is coming from the skimmer.
The temperature is constantly over 10°C warmer than the room it sits in.
I must admit the thermometer (stuck on the glass) is a cheap Chinese one from eBay.
I'll get another tomorrow when at the LFS. All the other equipment is only 15 months old.
Thanks for replying

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The first step is to make sure your temp is really that high. Almost all hobby thermometers have a chance of being off a few degrees, but hopefully the new one you're getting will have a probe and a readout. If you want to be more sure that the temp is accurate, you can buy something like this, or you can buy several cheaper ones and get an average.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220623-235350.png
    Screenshot_20220623-235350.png
    216.9 KB · Views: 17

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely unplug your heater and see if it drops temp.

Do you have or can you get ahold of something similar to a kill-a-watt to check the wattage draw of each piece of equipment in your tank?

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll definitely get a new thermometer. I have the one from the tank at work and it's reading 28.6°C. Actual temperature is 24.5°C.
Thanks for the advice.

OP
OP
Gordi

Gordi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panic over. I just borrowed the thermometer from my home brew kit and the temperature is actually 24°C ( 75.5°F) which I believe is okay.
So the lesson learned today is " don't buy cheap". I didn't come into this hobby to economize!

Back