Temperature fluctuations and settings for a reef aquarium

Hudsonfo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if I could get some advice regarding temperature settings in my tanks.

I have a tk1000chiller.

I want the tank temperature to sit at around 25 degrees. I live in a fairly hot climate (Brisbane - so it gets hits in summer - but we often run the air conditioning).

my question is if I set the heater at 25 degrees, and the chiller to cool to 25 degrees and the hysteresis is set at 1.5 degrees meaning it will turn on at 26.5 degrees - is that ok?

Is a temp fluctuation of 1.5 degrees Celsius per day acceptable - in a predominantly lps system.

just trying to think of how I can avoid the chiller being on constantly and thought maybe a larger swing between heater temp and chiller turning on would be beneficial for power saving if it won’t affect livestock.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

I am wondering if I could get some advice regarding temperature settings in my tanks.

I have a tk1000chiller.

I want the tank temperature to sit at around 25 degrees. I live in a fairly hot climate (Brisbane - so it gets hits in summer - but we often run the air conditioning).

my question is if I set the heater at 25 degrees, and the chiller to cool to 25 degrees and the hysteresis is set at 1.5 degrees meaning it will turn on at 26.5 degrees - is that ok?

Is a temp fluctuation of 1.5 degrees Celsius per day acceptable - in a predominantly lps system.

just trying to think of how I can avoid the chiller being on constantly and thought maybe a larger swing between heater temp and chiller turning on would be beneficial for power saving if it won’t affect livestock.

Think you'll be fine with those temperatures. I'm also using chiller with my reef setup here outside Dallas TX USA and its always hot - yesterday going to mailbox was 99 degrees or 106 with humidity factored in (41 Celsius)

We also use A/C in the house, but reef tank (and my office) sits in converted porch that only gets A/C and heat thru the open doorway and window between house and porch. Often my office reaches 82 degrees (27.7) so I've got a fan and ceiling fan helping airflow. Chiller doesn't run all the time, like one might think it would (recently upgraded chiller to 1/4 HP Artica from 1/5 HP which was undersized for my 180g).

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 121 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back