Temperature monitor

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a temperature monitor that will alert me if I set a high and low threshold. It would obviously have to be wifi to do this. I run a Fowler so I am not going to buy a $1000 controller just for this.

I just want to be notified if my heater gets stuck on or off. I do have a backup heater, but what if that one failed as well

jason2459

Not a paid scientist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefkeeper lite + net module + netgear wifi adapter

Or Apex Jr or light (I think they still sell these) + netgear wifi adapter

Or snatch up a used Apex now classic + wifi adapter.

Ou8me2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I think you are overthinking yourself. If you run 2 smaller sized heaters on a temp controller like the Inkbird or Ranco then it would be pretty safe bet on temp. It's very unlikely that 2 heaters will fail exactly at the same exact time and the one that does work will be able to keep it fairly warm so you don't have a huge heat swing but it won't fry your tank either even if it got stuck in the on position. I run 2-150 watt heaters on my 75-gallon never have had an issue.

OP
OP
jasonrusso

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I think you are overthinking yourself. If you run 2 smaller sized heaters on a temp controller like the Inkbird or Ranco then it would be pretty safe bet on temp. It's very unlikely that 2 heaters will fail exactly at the same exact time and the one that does work will be able to keep it fairly warm so you don't have a huge heat swing but it won't fry your tank either even if it got stuck in the on position. I run 2-150 watt heaters on my 75-gallon never have had an issue.
I have a 210 and I have 2 300w via aqua titanium heaters. I don't check the temperature daily to be honest.

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been doing some research on this topic as well and came across this wifi temp probe. I cant find anyone using it yet but for $40 I think I might have to try it. The cool thing with this is it also has a leak detection probe. The negative is to receive SMS alerts there is a monthly fee. Only $1/month though.

La Crosse Technology 926-25106-Wgb Wireless Monitor System Set with Wet Probe https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZYJ5L5B/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZEwiAbZPNXTV1

A4goulet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Additionally I am wondering if I could wire a float switch into one of these sensors to give SMS alerts. The gateway will hold up to 5 sensors.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally snag an apex jr instead of looking for a heater with controller. You will reap allot of benefits from a controller.

Luno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an STC-1000 (it's a temperature controller for home brew) total cost $30. It's deadly accurate and has never failed me. It doesn't notify you, however your temp will never get out of control. You connect your heater/s and chiller/fans and set a max and min temp. If your heater or chiller malfunctions and tries to over heat or cool it will turn off one and turn the other on.

It has its own probe so no crossover issue with different temp readings. Just set your heater to say 1 degree higher than your controller and chiller/fan to 1degree lower than controller

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back